Is buying my own digital camera worth it?

I'm 20 and never had my own camera. I've been lent the old Canon PowerShot A20 2.1 MP by my parents who upgraded (it was one of the first digital cameras to come out). This camera is over 8 years old so: 1) It's bulky and hard to carry around 2) The battery dies after about 13 pictures 3) You... show more I'm 20 and never had my own camera. I've been lent the old Canon PowerShot A20 2.1 MP by my parents who upgraded (it was one of the first digital cameras to come out). This camera is over 8 years old so:
1) It's bulky and hard to carry around
2) The battery dies after about 13 pictures
3) You can't see out of the little screen at the back when your taking a picture (it's just all black)

I've been looking at the Nikon Coolpix L19 8MP for $120 (on sale right now). Should I get it? I never have my own camera to bring out with friends, at university or anywhere to take decent pictures. Is it worth it?