promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Laptop recognizes Wireless connection, but I don't have internet access.?

Like the title says.

I installed a Linksys wireless router on my desktop PC, so I can have wireless internet for my Dell Studio laptop. The problem is, the laptop recognizes the network, but I do not have access to the web!

Under Network and Sharing Center in the Control Panel, the diagram shows:

MY PC-----Unidentified Network---X---Internet

What on Earth can I do???

P.S.--- I do NOT need a wireless card, the laptop has one built in.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You must configure your wireless network card (on the computer you want to make connection to the router, your card is built in) to the same settings as the router in order to establish a wireless connection to the router. The router and the card in the computer must have the same settings to be able to get together and make a connection.

SSID = An SSID is the name of a wireless local area network (WLAN). All wireless devices on a WLAN must employ the same SSID in order to communicate with each other.

Operating mode: Infrastructure = Infrastructure mode wireless networking bridges (joins) a wireless network to a wired Ethernet network. Infrastructure mode wireless also supports central connection points for WLAN clients.

A wireless access point (AP) is required for infrastructure mode wireless networking. To join the WLAN, the AP and all wireless clients must be configured to use the same SSID. The AP is then cabled to the wired network to allow wireless clients access to, for example, Internet connections or printers. Additional APs can be added to the WLAN to increase the reach of the infrastructure and support any number of wireless clients.

Compared to the alternative, ad-hoc wireless networks, infrastructure mode networks offer the advantage of scalability, centralized security management and improved reach. The disadvantage of infrastructure wireless networks is simply the additional cost to purchase AP hardware.

Note that home wireless routers all feature a built-in AP to support infrastructure mode.

authentication: open system = The absence of a physical connection between nodes makes the wireless links vulnerable to eavesdropping and information theft. To provide a certain level of security, the IEEE 802.11 standard has defined two types of authentication methods, Open System and Shared Key. With Open System authentication, a wireless computer can join any network and receive any messages that are not encrypted. With Shared Key authentication, only those computers that possess the correct authentication key can join the network. By default, IEEE 802.11 wireless devices operate in an Open System network.

channel #: 6 = You want both the router and networkcard set to use the same channel.

wep: disabled = WEB short for Wired Equivalent Privacy, a security protocol for wireless local area networks (WLANs) defined in the 802.11b standard. WEP is designed to provide the same level of security as that of a wired LAN. LANs are inherently more secure than WLANs because LANs are somewhat protected by the physicalities of their structure, having some or all part of the network inside a building that can be protected from unauthorized access. WLANs, which are over radio waves, do not have the same physical structure and therefore are more vulnerable to tampering. WEP aims to provide security by encrypting data over radio waves so that it is protected as it is transmitted from one end point to another. Disabled make the initial connection easy to establish.

These are first settingsto get the first contact established between your router and wireless capable computer so that you can get on with setting up you security setting for your wireless network. YOU SHOULD NOT leave these setting for long because anyone can gain access to your network.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

some laptops have a small button that turns the instantaneous on and stale.. examine for this and verify it fairly is grew to become on. this would be a consumer-friendly mistake. The button is each so often imprecise and stressful to discover.. on HP laptops it fairly is often the colour of the encompassing case. There additionally could be a shortcut key combination that grew to become into hit which will turn it off. usually functionality+F2 or something... If that's not it there may well be a utility or hardware failure.

• 1 decade ago

Do you have the correct Default gateway, DNS server, and IP address set up?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.