what kind on effect does video games have on kids?

To what extent are video games a serious problem for the social development of today's youth (addiction, time consumption, a model for violence)?

2. What, if anything, should be done about it (and who should do it)?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

any effect that games have on kids is it in truth very small. if anything it one of few things that keep kids of the street committing if not being the victim of crimes as the release of Mortal Kombat, a game that was consider to be the most violent game at it first release.

So long as your kid understand that what is before them is not real they will be find. as far as the social aspect of the game, they can play video games and have a healthy social life for as long as they part take in other thing outside the home.

Penn and teller bullSh*t did a segment on the very topic hit on many of the key also disprove one of the myths that you may be thinking of with violence in video games being introduce to your child

Here is the first part of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS2HeQYOQsw

Youtube thumbnail

• 1 decade ago

Video games have a big effect on kids, if all they do is play video games they may become anti-social or something what the people at school call *Nerds*. If they get really addicted they may even start doing what the people do in the game (same with television)

• 1 decade ago

HAHAHAHA Ashley is completely wrong, it does not kill brain cells!!!

And in terms of a model for violence it depends on what age they play violent games (kids are more influenced when they are younger) but yes they can be influenced check out this famous experiment http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-458646581...

But it won't make kids aggressive if they don't look up to or respect the 'model', which is easier for older kids to do.

Source(s): Psychology student
  • 1 decade ago

1.The effect on kids playing video games is. That when you play them for hours and hours it killes there brain cells. If they are violence they will learn what they are doing in the game. Which could cause them not to be nice and be really mad!

2.Well there is nothing that we can really do about it. We could tell when they have to stop but brain cells are still being killed. If we just take them away they would hate us.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Well, the way you word it, it sounds like your brother prefers the FPS genre over the Strategy type of video games. It could simply be his preference, but still, some effects can be bad. The article below is one I found recently, after being told that playing too much is bad for you. I highly recommend you read it!

• 1 decade ago

Video games are not a problem. Parents with no time for children are. I guess it's much easier for the TV and game consoles to raise your kid.

• Jeffy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Addiction.

Kids get real addicted, and kill their time, which makes their parents unhappy.

Its also some games very violent.

Last but not least, all video games is wasting your time, except for like Brain Age and stuff.

The president, but please, Obama, DONT DO IT!!

And if anything should be done, they would say that kids can't play it anymore.

Hope it helped!!!

Source(s): Me.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

nothing. I grew up playing GTA all the time and I turned out fine.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

gives them better hand i coridindation and if anything does nothing else, it doesnt rote their brain or anything lol but it may make them lazy...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.