should there be standard distress screening at several intervals of a cancer patient's treatment?

should there be standard distress screening at several intervals of a cancer patient's treatment in every insurance plan?

Favorite Answer

I’m not sure what you mean, but I’m pretty sick of insurance companies trying to dictate medicine. How well a patient is coping with the disease and if they need additional help with it is usually done by the oncologist.

Source(s): I am a cancer registrar.
  • Carol

Yes:

Your oncologist and your primary care doctors are asking you

questions about how you feel. What is your energy Level and

what is your pain Level and How do you feel. This is part of

what the doctor's use to know what your distress Level is if he

or she does not ask you questions like these than your doctor

is not doing there job. and Insurance company's can be a major pain.

and your treatments should be the doctors and your decision.

Source(s): cancer survivor and ex nurse
  • Panda

Not sure what you are talking about . . in pediatric oncology there is usually a pediatric oncology social worker or team that works with the patient and family on a variety of issues. It was routine every time my son was admitted to the hospital for them to visit or if he went to the childrens clinic they would meet with him if he asked. It was covered 100 percent by our insurance . . so if other insurance policies are not allowing this ..than yes, whatever it takes should be done and insurance should approve it.

• erdmun

Nope -- even nonetheless I had a chemo ordinary this is typical for inflicting hair loss. My hair purely somewhat thinned. Chemotherapy would reason hair loss merely on your head (to illustrate), or it could fall out throughout your physique. you are able to lose your eye lashes, pubic hair, leg hair, and so on. or you would be able to lose it in one spot and not in others. this is totally individual and extremely based on the drug(s) you're given. Radiation scientific care will normally reason hair loss in the section being dealt with. each so often this hair won't advance back. some maximum cancers could be dealt with with surgical operation on my own, which shouldn't reason hair loss, in line with probability different than for the scarred section.