Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

i just bought a puppy mill dog..... :(?

okay well it wasnt "just", but it was an year and a half ago. i bought a little female westie at a pet store for 700 dollars, and she was 10 weeks old. i wasn't very educated about puppy mills and pet stoers until now. i was looking through her registration papers and decided to look up the original breeders name on Google to see what comes up. i found a letter he sent to his states, a plea, to allow puppy mills. whenever i see my dog, who i love very much, as just something i helped in this world that's evil. ahhhhhhh i just feel really bad but i love her lots what should i do?

here's the exact letter i found that he wrote.. and yes im 100% sure it's him.

http://www.irrc.state.pa.us/Documents/SRCDocuments...

Favorite Answer

You are already doing it. You are now aware of puppy mills and you will never again purchase an animal that will help fund these kinds of places. The next time that you are looking for a companion you will go to a rescue facility or to a reputable breeder.

How do you do that?

~Go on line and type in the breed+rescue+the area you live in.

~Go to a local dog show and talk to breeders. They always have companion animals in their litters that need loving homes and you will pay a lot less than you did for your pet store dog plus breeders screen their stock and you have a source to go to for questions FOR THE LIFE OF THE DOG.

~Contact the Parent club for the breed you are looking for. You can find all the Parent clubs and the local Specialty clubs by going to AKC.org

What can you do to stop puppy mills? Talk to anyone who asks you about where to get a dog or where you got your dog and point them in the right direction. Information is power and now you can save a dog by stopping someone else from going the same route that you did.

Good Luck!

Sheila

Inua Kennels

Member: Alaskan Malamute Club of America,

American Pomeranian Club,

Columbia Pomeranian Club

You know, even though you feel really guilty, probaly 3 quarters of the world don't know they purchased puppies from puppy mills. Trust me on this, I bought a puppy (not from a puppy mill) and I showed her to my friend's dog. I asked where she got her dog from, she said Petland. Then a few weeks later, a email said that Petland supports puppy mills and that's where they were getting the puppies from. I sent my friend the email and she replied back to me and said she never knew about it and that she said she feels so bad buying from perland, supporting the puppy mill. (No lie!) But the positive thing is that you rescued her and brought love into her life. The only thing you can do now, is just sign pietitions, because the person where you bought your dog from, must have left you no clue where they are right now.

That is very sad but it's not your dog's fault. The best thing you can do is love your dog and educate other people about puppy mills. You can still make a big difference if you can stop other people from buying dogs from breeders and encouraging them to adopt since 3-4 million dogs are put to sleep every year for not having a loving home. The best place to refer people to is www.petfinder.com.

Source(s): www.petfinder.com

I bought my dog from a pet store when I didnt know about puppy mills. But now Im educated and will never buy from a store again. Just keep loving your dog.

• jeeeow

I'm so glad you found out about puppy mills. There's no point in beating yourself up for supporting the puppy mill industry now. Just love that sweet Westie even more, for what she survived. What you can do is write to your state representative about your opinion on puppy mills. I live in Missouri, where there are also lots of puppy mills, and I belong to an organization that lobbies the state legislature about animal welfare issues. I'm sure you can find one in your state, too. We pet lovers need to put our voice out there louder. Of course puppy mills have influence over lawmakers-- they spend hundreds of thousands, if not millions, to block animal welfare legislation. Let's stand up to those horrid people!

There isn't anything you can do. Just carry on loving your dog the way you did before you new where she came from.

See this as a learning curve, and teach others about puppy mills and buying from pet shops.

You cant do much. Unfortunately there is not a way to stop puppy mills. Try to educate others as much as possible about puppy mills. This is a website that you can make a pledge and see videos about these horrible of puppy mills. Make your pledge today at stoppuppymills.com. Check out that website and email to your friends and family.

You live and learn.

Not the dog's fault.

Keep loving and looking after your dog.

The only positive thing you can do now is to warn people about puppy mills.

• ?

We did the same thing 9 years ago. We love our dog and wouldn't trade him for anything. But now that we know, we will never ever support puppy mills or BYBs again.

By the way, that letter made me want to vomit. He's worried it's going to cost more money for upkeep? Don't know the progress of that bill but I hope it passes/d and that he has to close because of it.

your dog is an innocent in the millers greedy world so don't let this change your feelings about her. Best thing you can do to try to help end this despicable business is to educate people around you to the horrors that the parents of petstore dogs endure.