Why are we in Afghanistan and why are we sending more troops there?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Mr Ed
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Nato went in to Afghanistan because the 9/11 attack on the Twin Towers came from Al Quaida, which is (was) based in Afghanistan. The Taliban government protected Al Quaida. So first, we went in to overturn the Taliban government and get as many Al Quaida people as possible, in the opes of capturing and/or killing its chief, Osama Bin Laden. Once the government was overturned and a friendly government was installed, we found we needed to stay in there and protect the new government. Right now, I would say the purpose is to make sure the Taliban can never again govern that country.

Possibly the objectives would have been pretty much accomplished if American troops and funds hadn't been diverted to Iraq, which was a pretty useless war as being an extremely expensive one. (Note: I'm not expressing any moral judgement here - I've done that over and over again already).

Edit:

To the Big Helper: - McCain never had any itnention of pulling troops out of Afghanistan. He supported putting more troops into Iraq. So it really has nothing to do with McCain or Obama - it's united American policy - and Nato policy for that matter).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Most popular reason is to fight the taliban (btw taliban lower cased comes up misspelled under Spell Check...dont give them the satisfaction of having an upper cased letter!) and other extremist organizations, and to get Osama.

Also another possible reason, that has been mentioned by a former USAF and NSA employee, and other sources (link below shows video of a good explanation)

Iran's govt has been making threats against Israel, and with the ability to produce nuclear weapons soon either Israel waits for Iran to strike or they attack first (nuclear or non-nuclear). You can google some quotes from Ahmadinejad about Israel, pretty extreme and serious threats.... If Israel attacks Iran, then all of the other surrounding Islamic countries will go full force against Israel, and it will be quite a mess, Islam vs Zionists. Israel is our Allie and we are setting ourselves up in a position to "put pressure" on Iran if and when these threats get more serious. If US and NATO forces occupy Afghanistan we will be in a very good position to possibly attack/invade Iran if the threats and actions become extreme, probability is higher since Ahmedimonkey has been re-elected.....this isn't publicized by the govt for obvious reasons, but it's seems pretty logical, imo

imo...It'd be nice to "move in there" and help the poor civilians out that have no 2nd amendment, and put Mousavi into power so all these bs threats and innocent deaths can stop...and most importantly this may drastically reduce the risk of possible large scale war, or nuclear war costing a sh*t tone of lives, but lets hope that doesn't happen :)

• 1 decade ago

hmmm..because they are evil people..the land where obama came from. the middle east. If u realized that the area is corrupt by the taliban who WANTS TO KILL US IN THE U.S.!

In fact, bushs' torture techniques caught a guy who said that they were going to bomb LA..BUT GUESS WHAT! we caught him and got the information from him! now ur precous LA is still corrupt and in more debt and bankrupt like the rest of the Country.sdlkfjsdlfj sfoji

End. Taliban=bad for the WORLD. Troops in afghanistan because of that. Read qurhan

• 1 decade ago

Are people actually that stupid that they forget why we were in Afghanistan and that we've been there for 8 years?

The leaders who caused 9/11 were there and the Taliban wouldn't give them up.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

They are actually the country we should be at war with since their old government (the Taliban) is the one that funded and supported Osama Bin Laden, the man who orchestrated the 9/11 attacks.

Seems like good enough reason for me.

• 1 decade ago

we are there for a couple of reasons,one to go after taliban,two to stop these maniacs from getting nuclear weapons,three,so our secret goverment can act less discrimortory,you have to realize by being over there we are closer to iran,and that's for isreal's sake,isreal wants to bomb iran,and i don't know how that will play out for isreal! our secret goverment runs without any notice and is not subject under anyonoe's rule,they do any type of activity that needs to be done,i believe ,our secret goverment got billions last year,andthey do things that we are not privy too! they are the ones who deal with groom lake and its logistics,they are the ones to decide if we should go out in space to contact .who we been contacting for years,other races!

Source(s): read about secret goverment and their protocal!
  • 1 decade ago

Well what i have heard is that the american and canadian government are there because the afgani government asked them too because of the taliban situation so but apart from that i dont know man the world is always in war its in mankind too fight with eachother

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To catch Bin Laden

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

cause troops like afganistan and want to get a nice tan

• 1 decade ago

Because Obama is a warmongering bloodthirsty barbarian.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.