gray
Lv 7
gray asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 1 decade ago

What natural remedies are there for a sinus infection?

I've been taking an antibiotic for a sinus infection, and though I am feeling better, the symptoms are still bugging me. I want to try something else to add to it.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A warm salt-water solution poured through the nose provides great relief in sinusitis. A ceramic pot (a plastic one may also be used, it is far easier to carry) known as a “neti lota”, makes this procedure very easy. Fill the pot with warm water and add enough salt so the solution tastes like tears. Stand over a sink and tilt your head far to one side so that your ear is parallel to the floor, and pour the solution into the upper nostril, allowing it to drain through the lower nostril. You have to breathe through your mouth while doing this. Gently blow your nose using your gut muscles without applying pressure on your lungs as this may throw the mucus along with the bacteria back into your throat and the Eustachian tubes. Repeat on the other side. This procedure may be performed two or three times a day. It is a part of the yogic therapy and is extremely beneficial in sinusitis.

Yoga (neti pot use is actually a part of it) is extremely beneficial, especially when you use herbs along with it.

Usually, your sinusitis will require the use of antibiotics (I have myself taken tons of them) to get rid of bacteria and other organisms. Natural and holistic treatments have also been used for centuries to reduce the symptoms of sinusitis. Very often, conventional medications have harsh side effects and using more natural alternatives like herbal and homeopathic remedies are much safer and gentler for the body.

Herbal remedies are there to alleviate the symptoms by reducing inflammation and, if you still take prescription medications, also help them in curing the infection. Of course, some of them like Echinacea, help tremendously in not only giving a fillip to your immune system but also help prevent colds and shorten the duration of your cold or flu.

A highly effective herb is Quercitin which contains anti-oxidants and helps to promote healthy circulation and boosts immunity. Another carefully selected herb is Euphrasia officinalis (Eyebright) which is beneficial for good eye health. In addition, homeopathic ingredients such as Arsen alb, Nat. mur. and Kali mur. help to maintain the skin and nervous system as well as liver health.

You may wish to read further an intriguing article on sinusitis and its solutions with regards to diet, certain dos and don'ts and off course natural remedies available, here..

• 1 decade ago

Frequent saline lavage. Basically, squirt small amounts of saltwater into your nose to rinse the infection out. The salinity kills the bacteria, the water washes it out of your head.

I recommend the one that looks like the Aladdin's Lamp that you pour water into your nose or the one (by the same company) that you mix your own saltwater (with distilled water and the included salt packets) and then "Skoosh" it up your nose. It's kinda unpleasant at first but it'll clear up the problem.

• 1 decade ago

Try peppermint tea, hot facial compresses, and fresh carrot juice.

To avoid fallout from the antibiotics, start taking a probiotic supplement as soon as possible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.