Do you consider Jimmy Buffett a country singer?

Favorite Answer

When he first started out, Jimmy Buffett could not be considered a country artist. Today, he's a classic fit.

Country has grown to summarily include pop stars such as Darius Rucker, John Mellencamp, Bon Jovi, even Kid Rock (somehow). However, the traditionalists still believe "it ain't country without a fiddle" and hold their ground with classic aplomb. That being said, it's artists like Jimmy that help ease the standard classic rocker as well as the Conway Twitty fan into more aggressive, popular sounds of today's pop-tinged country songs.

Buffett grew up in the south and learned hard work, as well as a love for the outdoors and boating. His music reflects his lifestyle and he's a consummate guitar player. That alone carries him with today's newer generation country/rock legends such as Rosanne Cash, Kenny Rogers, Michael Martin Murphey and Alabama. Songs like "Come Monday", "Son Of A Son Of A Sailor", "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw" and timeless "Margaritaville" are universally accepted at venues embracing a country feel. Songs and videos like "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" and "Bama Breeze" have solidified this necessary growth pattern.

Buffett has felt the shifting sand beneath him embracing country more as his Parrothead following haven't deserted him. He has received a hero's welcome from the likes of Alan Jackson, Kenny Chesney, George Strait and Martina McBride, amongst others. It's time to accept Jimmy Buffett not as a pure country artist, but as an artist whose roots include the authenticity of rural life and sensibility.

Country may not have been Jimmy Buffett's mooring in the beginning, but the strong buoys country provides make a safe harbor for his slow journey back to shore.

EDIT: For Strait Gal: Request adding as a contact.

Source(s): Karaoke host and performer at Rick's Bar, Key West FL 1993-1996 Broadcaster with Armed Forces Radio and commercial radio in Wyoming

Not really. I will say that if you buy one of his cds, alot of the songs that are not very well known sound much more country than the big hits.

He has pretty wide crossover appeal, and if you think about it, he is pretty much one of a kind. There isn't a singer out there that is just like Jimmy Buffett, and I like that.

Some of his songs, like "He Went To Paris" sound much more country than 90% of what is on country radio today. But he made his money off of Margaritaville, and I absolutely hate it when my country station puts that in the middle of a set of songs.

I've read all of y'all's answers. It made me think. It makes me wonder something. And that is this:

Could it be that the Jimmy Buffett songs that some people are thinking are country are, in fact, Carribbean Island Folk songs? Or just some kind of Island Folk music? What do you all think?

• Me

He sure isn't pop

He's not rock

From about his Floridays album in the mid-80's backwards to his very first one in the early 70's, yes.Compare his music overall to the crap the mainstream has played over the past 10 years,he sounds like an original member of the Grand Ole Opry.

Call him what you want.With a full time spot on the Forbes list being one of the highest grossing music acts,I'm sure he pretty much doesn't care what he's labled as at this point.

Ya I Hear His Music On Country Music Station So ya

No. To me, his music is more like some kind of island music than country. I guess I would either label him as rock or pop...not sure what the sub genre would he for Buffett though.

Not really he does have a kind of Country sound, but he's got more of a rock/beach sound so I'd say he's more of a classic rock singer than country.

No, he was in with Rock up until he did Take the Weather with You. It's a good album mind you, but he isn't Country. He said himself back when Country was Country they wouldn't accept him in it.

• atexx2

nope, just a pop singer from the 70's that has a following that also happened to like country

yes!