Which movie is more offensive to you, Bruno or Hamlet 2?

I saw Bruno yesterday and I laughed my @$$ off. He was hilarious and his total lack of fear was very inspiring to me. It was a fun, feel good movie. I wasn't offended at all. However, I just now finished watching Hamlet 2 and I was DEEPLY offended by that film for a multitude of reasons. One, it wasn't... show more I saw Bruno yesterday and I laughed my @$$ off. He was hilarious and his total lack of fear was very inspiring to me. It was a fun, feel good movie. I wasn't offended at all. However, I just now finished watching Hamlet 2 and I was DEEPLY offended by that film for a multitude of reasons.

One, it wasn't well-written or well-directed or well-acted and was a complete waste of my time, the few laughs that were had were from shock value, which is the same as Bruno but I guess the difference is that Bruno is responding to actual situations and getting real responses which adds a level of humor and intrigue to the film. When it's purely canned shock value with bad actors it doesn't have the same effect.

2. It promotes the heterosexist notion that a man who acts like a "macho" caricature of masculinity is intrinsically superior at everything he does.

3. The one gay character is not only the enemy who ends up stabbing everybody in the back because he's jealous and secretly has a crush on the drama teacher, but he's also a terrible steretype of gay men. He's prissy. He starts a fight with another guy and then lays on the floor crying while he gets kicked, refusing to defend himself. He slaps the drama teacher. He's a terrible actor (actually they all are but he's a deliberately terrible actor) who can't do anything right. He's sexually aggressive and talks about "finally being more comfortable with his sexuality after seeing his therapist five times a week and taking prozac".

Towards the end of the movie he basically begs to be in the play again at which point he (twice) tries to sexually advance on a straight guy and is struck down politely making the straight guy seem like he's some kind of hero for even putting up with his antics.

I haven't been so offended by a movie, as a gay man, ever. Not even the famously awful gay movies from the late 70's early 80's.

Here's the kicker:
Bruno was written and directed by a straight man.
Hamlet 2 was written and directed by an openly gay man.

GLAAD happily supported Hamlet 2, Bruno they protest. I would watch a million Brunos before I could be forced to see another stinking pile of rubbish like Hamlet 2

What are you're thoughts?
Update: punkkittie: I don't follow. You're saying all movies are immune to criticism because they "express" something? no, that's not quite how it works. and yes, they could have, and in fact DID release movies like Hamlet 2 back in the 70's and 80's as a matter of fact sometimes they... show more punkkittie: I don't follow. You're saying all movies are immune to criticism because they "express" something?
no, that's not quite how it works.

and yes, they could have, and in fact DID release movies like Hamlet 2 back in the 70's and 80's as a matter of fact sometimes they decided to not be stereotypically offensive and released something MORE POSITIVE towards gays and lesbians in the 70's. La Cage Aux Folles (later remade as "the Birdcage") was released commercialy in the early seventies. I believe I specifically addressed movies made 30 years ago in my original post. The Boys in The Band (which was a realistic portrayal of gay men) was released in 1970.

This movie was demonstrably offensive to gay people. Is there no point in time EVER when we stop letting everything slide off of our backs and say "Hey that wasn't cool"?