Which movie is more offensive to you, Bruno or Hamlet 2?

I saw Bruno yesterday and I laughed my @$$ off. He was hilarious and his total lack of fear was very inspiring to me. It was a fun, feel good movie. I wasn't offended at all. However, I just now finished watching Hamlet 2 and I was DEEPLY offended by that film for a multitude of reasons.

One, it wasn't well-written or well-directed or well-acted and was a complete waste of my time, the few laughs that were had were from shock value, which is the same as Bruno but I guess the difference is that Bruno is responding to actual situations and getting real responses which adds a level of humor and intrigue to the film. When it's purely canned shock value with bad actors it doesn't have the same effect.

2. It promotes the heterosexist notion that a man who acts like a "macho" caricature of masculinity is intrinsically superior at everything he does.

3. The one gay character is not only the enemy who ends up stabbing everybody in the back because he's jealous and secretly has a crush on the drama teacher, but he's also a terrible steretype of gay men. He's prissy. He starts a fight with another guy and then lays on the floor crying while he gets kicked, refusing to defend himself. He slaps the drama teacher. He's a terrible actor (actually they all are but he's a deliberately terrible actor) who can't do anything right. He's sexually aggressive and talks about "finally being more comfortable with his sexuality after seeing his therapist five times a week and taking prozac".

Towards the end of the movie he basically begs to be in the play again at which point he (twice) tries to sexually advance on a straight guy and is struck down politely making the straight guy seem like he's some kind of hero for even putting up with his antics.

I haven't been so offended by a movie, as a gay man, ever. Not even the famously awful gay movies from the late 70's early 80's.

Here's the kicker:

Bruno was written and directed by a straight man.

Hamlet 2 was written and directed by an openly gay man.

GLAAD happily supported Hamlet 2, Bruno they protest. I would watch a million Brunos before I could be forced to see another stinking pile of rubbish like Hamlet 2

What are you're thoughts?

punkkittie: I don't follow. You're saying all movies are immune to criticism because they "express" something?

no, that's not quite how it works.

and yes, they could have, and in fact DID release movies like Hamlet 2 back in the 70's and 80's as a matter of fact sometimes they decided to not be stereotypically offensive and released something MORE POSITIVE towards gays and lesbians in the 70's. La Cage Aux Folles (later remade as "the Birdcage") was released commercialy in the early seventies. I believe I specifically addressed movies made 30 years ago in my original post. The Boys in The Band (which was a realistic portrayal of gay men) was released in 1970.

This movie was demonstrably offensive to gay people. Is there no point in time EVER when we stop letting everything slide off of our backs and say "Hey that wasn't cool"?

• Micah
    Best Answer

Haven't seen Bruno. I'll wait until it comes out on DVD. I don't care to give Sasha Baron Cohen ten dollars to insult me, but I am curious about the movie.

And I liked Hamlet 2. I didn't find it insulting at all. Granted, the script wasn't stellar, but I enjoyed it. Skylar Astin and Phoebe Strole. <333

hollywood shouldn't dictate how we view real people...film is a form of artistic expression and your offense is precisely what art is supposed to do promote reflection...that GLAAD finds it in their realm of duties to support or protest either of them is, well gay...just like supporting straight marriage but not gay marriage is gay. they are the same thing just different takes on how to go about it gay straight hamlet bruno... acceptance is the key here and everybody deserves it. agreeing to disagree... just accept that hamlet was a film as was bruno released into mainstream society which never could have happened twenty years ago, nor could open discussion of gay marriage have ever found itself in the headlines, these things were swept under the rug along with the dirt, carefully concealed and left in rumor and whispers...that any of this fiction or non celluloid or cellulose is now out there, open for discussion, and finding more and more acceptance each day is what GLAAD should be supporting and accept that that in itself is not gay at all!!

Well, seeing as Hamlet 2 is a comedy, no.. it couldn't offend me no matter what it did. Hamlet 2 is an offensive comedy on purpose. Get the **** over it, honestly. You're telling me that nobody can ever pick at the gay stereotype, really? Grow up, please, child. Oh, I don't see you complaining about the jokes it made about Christians, Jews, and Latinos. Wah, wah, my feelings are hurt, waaaah.

Source(s): Logic.

Hamlet 2

Source(s): I need some answers please http://nz.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ak...

I'd like to address the larger question in your post: the reluctance to criticize, grade or compare anything to anything else.

The current crop of young people were the first to be raised to see perfection in themselves. In kindergarten, every last one of them sang songs written to increase (unearned) self-esteem. Then, there was the "No child left behind" strategy, which only gave kids the message that they weren't going to be allowed to fail, no matter how poorly they did.

Sports teams for the young now commonly have no winners or losers, and everyone gets a prize. The unacknowledged theme song for the entire generation is, "I'm so great, you're so great, everything's so great, but mostly me".

They've been trained to see everything as equally good, and every opinion as equally valid. It's frightening, and makes you wonder how on earth they make moral distinctions.

So, of course, you're going to have people condemning you for daring to find fault with anyone's work; after all, everyone's great, remember?

Source(s): News flash: Some movies really ARE better than others.

I enjoyed reading your arguments and thoroughly agree. After watching Bruno today I found it hilarious and enjoyable albeit slightly cringeworthy at his stunts haha

But yes I agree completely. Hamlet 2 was an absolute waste and could be seen as an offence.

hamlet 2

No movie can offend me. I'm not a fool. It's either good or bad, and both movies were very good in thier own sense.

I need to see bruno

hamlet .. bruno was hilarious