Frank asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Marine Corps Officer Question?

I will be enlisting in the Marine Corps next month, and am definitely not opposed to staying in for my careers until I choose to retire. I will enlist in the infantry, however I will most likely not want to be in the infantry for my entire career. I would eventually like to officer and make marines. My question is can I become an officer and be some type of Instructor?

Best Answer

TBS (The basic school) and IOC (Infantry officer's course) have officer instructors - usually Captains. This isn't an MOS thought, it's a b-billet. A secondary job you do after doing your primary job for awhile.

• Logan

I suggest looking into NROTC straight out of highschool, if you haven't shipped to boot camp, it is not too late regardless of what the recruiter tells you. If you enlist infantry you can do a lateral move at the end of your first enlistment. This means going into another enlisted MOS, however this is limited by how many boat spaces there are for that MOS at the beginning of the fiscal year (October).

If you try to go enlisted to officer your best option is to try to get accepted to MECEP. This is a competitive process so not everyone that is qualified gets accepted. I have plenty of peers that I thought would make it and did not get accepted. Your second best option after enlisting is to get out, use your GI Bill, and talk to an OSO about PLC (platoon leader's course), although you won't be paid as your active duty rank and getting time towards retirement like MECEP.

Officers generally aren't instructors, and if they are they are generally instructors at places like the Basic Officers Course. My advice to you is to skip enlisting and go apply for a NROTC scholarship ASAP. Apply for a Marine Option Scholarship, get commissioned, try to select infantry at TBS/BOC and then try to come back as an instructor and Staff Platoon Commander at TBS.

If you decide to go enlist and go infantry, you will have plenty of people to guide your career.

Source(s): 8 years enlisted infantry Marine, MECEP, now a commissioned officer in the Marine Corps.
  • Mrsjvb

officers require a 4 year degree.

Instructors are enlisted personnel ..typically E6s on their secondor third term of enlistment.

Yeah just work your way up the todem pole. and talk to a recruiter about what your goals are.

Source(s): Naval officer

sure, you seem like you have the capability, but you gotta have the motivation, all this stuff about physical fitness means nothing if you don't have motivation