JB
Lv 4
JB asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

how often should you wash your dog?

i have a patterdale terrier and i tend to wash her when she is a little stinky. she has short hair so not so high maintenance, but i did hear somewhere that you shouldn't wash your dog too often as it can develop into skin allergies over the years - which i don't want to happen obviously.

so my question is how often should you wash your dog without this happening?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I wash my dog once a month, but only because I have slight allergies. When I start to break out on my chin, I know it's time for a bath for the dogs.

6 times a year or less is preferable, but you want to do it once a month MAX, no more then that

EDIT: You NEVER want to wash a dog more then once a month. For one, it strips the natural oil off the skin and fur, and this is actually what helps keep your dog clean. I.E. your dog actually gets dirtier and smells more from over-bathing. That lack of natural oil can also cause extreme dandruff, irritated skin, and can break and ruin the coat, making it very brittle and unhealthy. It's just not that good to wash your dog that much.

• 1 decade ago

I wash my dogs as often as they need it, once a week or less depending on how dirty and stinky they get. My big dogs that go to the dog park get weekly baths but my little guys get baths when they need it even if only a few times a year. One foster got a bath every day because he would potty in his crate and roll in it. If you use a good shampoo a healthy dog can be bathed twice a week, show dogs are often bathed at least twice a week for several months. Allergies have nothing to do with frequent bathing, dry skin can result from crappy shampoo or not rinsing the dog .

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To be honest, I only fully bath my hounds when I'm aware they are smelling bad, or of course, if they have rolled in something dire. And I used to bath my bitches when they finished their seasons, before they went back in with the 'pack'. If they were moulting badly, I'd bath them too to help the dead hair come out faster. When I was showing them they obviously had baths more often, but my dogs are basically clean (and going out in the rain helps!!) so the answer to your question is not that often, and it's a matter of personal choice really, within reason.

And constant bathing does dry out the coat, although if you use a good dog shampoo, that helps. Some breeds do need regular bathing however - eg. Afghans.

• 1 decade ago

Probably once a month, some people only wash their dogs 2-3 times a year but its up to you, she only has short fur so definitely no more than once a month

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Don't do it more than once a month, preferably only when absolutely necessary. *Love is a GSD* explains why the best.

I don't think I've EVER bathed my dogs and they certainly don't stink. They do go swimming a lot, or will get muddy so on occasion they get hosed off but never an actual bath.

• 1 decade ago

You only really need to wash them when they're very dirty or start to get a bit smelly.If you wash them too much it can remove their natural waterproof coating. My dog is 2 and has been washed twice,both times after she'd been playing in the mud.

• 1 decade ago

Hi, when I had my dog I only washed him when he had rolled in something bad, otherwise I left him.

So during the time I had him I reckon I only washed him about 5 times in his life.

• Nik
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Well it depends if it is an inside or outside dog. If its an inside dog you would wash it more often than an outside dog.

We wash our inside dog once a week, but our work dogs only get a wash if for some reason they are particularly dirty! =D

• 1 decade ago

Hi JB

I never wash my coarse haired terrier type mongrel. I give him a good brush every day which he loves.

Best wishes

Source(s): My opinion.
  • maca
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

most vets will tell you 2 or 3 times per year is enough unless they have walked, played in a mud bath of some kind

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.