Can drive mapping fix damaged hard drive sectors?

I executed drive mapping and canceled it in the middle of the process. This apparently resulted in damaged sectors on my hard drive. If I go through the same process to completion, is it possible the sectors would be repaired?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Canceling drive mapping should not have caused damage to your hard drive. Most likely, a table was erased or corrupted. By performing a low-level scan of the drive again, it should be able to find all the bad sectors and remap them to spare sectors. The bad sectors are bad; they can't be fixed, just mapped out so that the operating system can't use them or remapped to spare sectors. After the bad sectors have been remapped, format the drive and reinstall your software.

Unless the drive is about to experience a head crash or other malfunction, and all the spare sectors haven't been used up, it should report the full nominal capacity as being available after formatting.

To perform a low-level scan of your drive, you may need special software from the drive manufacturer, if it is a Parallel ATA or Serial ATA interface. If you have a SCSI drive and an Adaptec host adapter, the host adapter card will have a built-in low level scan that can be started from a menu that can be accessed during system boot.

Source(s): Personal experience -- 25+ years in the disk drive industry.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It wouldn't be repaired, but instead your computer would create a table indicating which sectors are corrupted and wouldn't be used anymore in the future. This would result in the waste of hard drive capacity.

In a nutshell, the table indicates the specific sectors which are corrupted, then if you try to store any data in it, your computer will then check the table, skipping those that are corrupted and stores some where else in your hard drive.

• 1 decade ago

Drive mapping refers to the drive letters assigned to your disks. There are many reasons your hard drive may have bad sectors, but no it is highly unlikely what your doing will in any way repair your disk. My recommendation is to open Start, Run, Enter in "cmd"(no quotes) press enter, type in "chkdsk c: /r"(replace c with whatever drive letter is having the trouble if it differs), press enter and let it go (it may require you to restart). it will run for a while and report if there were any problems.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.