Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

would you consider ghost stories sci fi? why or why not?

I'm writing a novel for a class, and I wanted to throw some ghosts in it, but I don't know if it would still be sci fi? like, it has sci fi stuff (aliens invading and taking over minds and whatnot), but would ghosts mess it up?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Absolutely YES. And here's why:

Sci Fi was originally coined as a term to describe a type of writing that included subjects that are outside the realm of 'provable science' or 'probable science' - in other words, something that is scientifically possible - GHOSTS, aliens, other worlds, different dimensions, time travel, etc. - but CANNOT (at least at this point & time) be scientifically proved OR disproved beyond the shadow of a doubt. You could still write your book on GHOSTS without the aliens, and it could still be categorized as 'Sci Fi' aka 'Science Fiction'. (see Wikipedia definition below)

Bit of useless information: Many people say that author Ray Bradbury was the 'father of science fiction'. So if you are a big Sci Fi reader, you should look into his work. Recommended reading written by him: ' Death is a Lonely Business', 'Graveyard for Lunatics', 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' & more

See Wikipedia definition below or follow the link for more info:

Science fiction is a genre of fiction. It differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically-established or scientifically-postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation). Exploring the consequences of such differences is the traditional purpose of science fiction, making it a "literature of ideas".[1] Science fiction is largely based on writing entertainingly and rationally about alternate possibilities[2] in settings that are contrary to known reality.

• 1 decade ago

I think that as long as the aliens are the main topic, then it would be sci fi...actually ANYTHING with aliens would be sci fi. But if it was only ghost then it would be under horror, or fantasy. So yes, still Sci fi.

• 1 decade ago

yeah it would for it is fantasy (at least that we know of - for anything can happen lol)

but i guess i would consider it sci-fi mabye a little more fantasy but yeah it would be sci-fi

• 1 decade ago

No, not if your story already includes other science fiction themes, such as aliens.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.