Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Can a psychiatrist admit you to the psych ward for having suicidal thoughts ?

I have very intense suicidal thoughts.

Thinking about suicide makes me happy and I fantasize about different ways of killing myself.

I am not planning on killing myself but these thoughts of mine are pretty intense.

And I am on medication.

But my thoughts are really quite annoying. I think of all the different ways I could die and how much I want to die. I want to die, that's for sure. I have the will to die but I just don't have the guts to do it.

So what would a psychiatrist say in a situation like this ?

And I was prescribed medication and I don't even know if I want to be on them and yah, I'm having these intense suicidal thoughts.

What happens ?

What should I do since it's Friday night ?

And I told him I wouldn't be going to the day hospital for the next 2 weeks because of summer vacation, and he told me I could go if I want, so yah, what do I do ?

I feel suicidal, I want to die but yet, I can't do it and it's really annoying me

So what would he do for suicidal thoughts ?

Favorite Answer

If the doctor thought you were seriously a danger to yourself, then you may go into the hosptial. Which is not a bad place for someone in your situation.

If you are now considering killing yourself and have a specific plan on how to do it, go to the nearest hospital or call 911 NIOW.

I'm 14 and I had thoughts a lot like you described. I told my psychiatrist and yes, I was admitted to the psych ward. I was there for 6 days though, the average stay was 3-5 days.

• ......

Not really. Loads of people have them.

Did they start when you got put on the meds? If it didn't happen before you took the meds you need to report it as a side-effect and they will fix it. Thinking about suicide is not always because you want to die. It's hard to tell. They won't really do anything. They'll ask if you have a plan and all this BS, but pretty much nothing will happen unless there is someone rich willing to spend money to lock you up. Doubtful. Look at all the suicide questions on this site alone. If they put you in hospital so easy there would be about a million going in tonight.

Let me say something semi off topic. Change your life now. I went through 9 years of suicidal thoughts until i said **** it, i don't have the guts to do it, i might as well live life. if your still in school take it seriously, i didn't because i knew i was going to kill my self. But now I'm 24 working a minimum wage job where i can't even afford an apartment. Even if you don't change now, which you wont, many people have tried to change me over the years and it doesn't work. It has to come from you to want to change. I'm not saying don't kill your self. You can kill your self if you want to, I'm not anti suicide. I'm just saying make sure going through this that you don't leave your life in shambles because you might decide to live and you will have a bigger hole to climb out of.

okay well i am actually currently in a behavorial health hospital (psych ward) so i know aLOT about it....okay well yes they can, if you are over the age of 18 then you can refuse treatment but if u are a minor only ur parents can, i say you should talk to him and see hwat he says, ive found it very helpful for me and i think it can be for you too. but one thing u gotta do is work at it really hard cuz other wise ur not gonna get better, ive been to a mental hospital 3 times, the first two times i didnt care about getting better, now i do and i am. you have to want it and work for it. but yes if u have intense suicidal thoughts then he could recomend inpaitent treatment.

yes you definatly can and i would say its not a bad idea. my older sister was in an extream depression for months and then she went to kill herself and her room mate called the cops who sent her to the hospital. she was only there for a week but it opened her eyes and it seamed like a totaly new happier her.

most likely they would send you to a mental health hospital...it might help though.

• rott

Depends on where you live. He can if he thinks you are serious.

Source(s): psych nurse

why should you tell anyone

cant be this your dirty secret?

everyone has one ,even those who are good with good shapes and respectful figures