Who are the" Sons of God and the Daughters of Men" referring to in Genesis?

Genesis 6 1-4"And it came to pass when men began to multiply on the face of the earth ,and daughters were born unto them,that the Sons of God saw the Daughters of Men that they were fair,and they took them wives of all which they chose.And the lord said,my spirit shall not always strive with man,for that he also is flesh:yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.There were giants in the earth in those days,and also after that,when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men,and they bare children to them,the same became mighty men which were of old,men of renown.-HOW can it be fallen angels if angels are Sexless as stated inMatthew 22 29,30"God says "You are mistaken not understanding the scriptures,or in the power of God,for in the resurrecton they neither marry,nor are given in marriage,but are like angels in Heaven.

There are also no female angels that i can find-

I would like your opinion on this-A recently emerging idea is that the Sons of God simply referred to the genealogical line of Seth,who were committed to preserving the true worship of God.(Some people) are interpreting Genesis 6 to mean that the offspring of Adam through Seth were the sons of God,and the offspring of Adam through Cain were the daughters of men and that the problem was that the family of Seth had interbred with the family of Cain,intermingling the bloodlines and corrupting the pure religion,this view is becoming more dominant amongst modern biblical scholars and they say that up until that point in the book of Genesis the story is tracking the line of Cain and the line of Seth-they are saying that this idea is completly in the literary context-

I don't understand how they come to this conclusion and why are they when it makes sense that these were simply fallen angels that had sex with women who gave birth to Nephilim-can you make any sense as to why this view is out there-i am not saying the view on this is Wrong-i am asking for someone to help me even understand this side to it.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

angels...and female humans

The first mention of “sons of the true God” is at Genesis 6:2-4. There such sons are spoken of as ‘beginning to notice the daughters of men, that they were good-looking; and they went taking wives for themselves, namely, all whom they chose,’ this prior to the global Flood.

Many commentators hold that these ‘sons of God’ were themselves human, being in reality men of the line of Seth. They base their argument on the fact that Seth’s line was that through which godly Noah came, whereas the other lines from Adam, that of Cain and those of any other sons born to Adam (Ge 5:3, 4), were destroyed at the Flood. So, they say that the taking as wives “the daughters of men” by “the sons of the true God” means that Sethites began to marry into the line of wicked Cain.

There is, however, nothing to show that God made any such distinction between family lines at this point. Corroborating Scriptural evidence is lacking to support the view that intermarriage between the lines of Seth and Cain is what is here meant, or that such marriages were responsible for the birth of “mighty ones” as mentioned in verse 4. It is true that the expression “sons of men [or “of mankind”]” (which those favoring the earlier mentioned view would contrast with the expression ‘sons of God’) is frequently used in an unfavorable sense, but this is not consistently so.—Compare Ps 4:2; 57:4; Pr 8:22, 30, 31; Jer 32:18, 19; Da 10:16.

Angelic sons of God. On the other hand, there is an explanation that finds corroborating evidence in the Scriptures. The expression “sons of the true God” next occurs at Job 1:6, and here the reference is obviously to spirit sons of God assembled in God’s presence, among whom Satan, who had been “roving about in the earth,” also appeared. (Job 1:7; see also 2:1, 2.) Again at Job 38:4-7 “the sons of God” who ‘shouted in applause’ when God ‘laid the cornerstone’ of the earth clearly were angelic sons and not humans descended from Adam (as yet not even created). So, too, at Psalm 89:6 “the sons of God” are definitely heavenly creatures, not earthlings.

The identification of “the sons of the true God” at Genesis 6:2-4 with angelic creatures is objected to by those holding the previously mentioned view because they say the context relates entirely to human wickedness. This objection is not valid, however, since the wrongful interjection of spirit creatures in human affairs most certainly could contribute to or accelerate the growth of human wickedness. Wicked spirit creatures during Jesus’ time on earth, though not then materializing in visible form, were responsible for wrong human conduct of an extreme nature.

The mention of a mixing into human affairs by angelic sons of God could reasonably appear in the Genesis account precisely because of its explaining to a considerable degree the gravity of the situation that had developed on earth prior to the Flood.

• 1 decade ago

Sons of God = Angels (the Fallen Kind)

Daughters of men = Women

Collectively = Parents of the Nephilim

• 1 decade ago

As you may know, I am a confirmed Atheist. That said, my differences from "normal" Humans compelled Me to do a sort of "genealogical" search per the Nephilim using Biblical cross-referencing only. My comprehensive research proves Biblically that not only did the Nephilim exist, they still do, a fact that most "learned" clergy and Religionists deny. Read it on a slow day, if you really seek the truth.

Lord Sesshomaru

Heir to the Nephilim

THE NEPHILIM, OR “GIANTS” OF GEN.6, ETC.

Source: The Companion Bible being the Authorized Version of 1611

The progeny of the fallen angels with the daughters of Adam are called in Gen.6, “Nephilim”, which means “fallen ones” (from “nephal”, to fall). What these beings were can be gathered only from Scripture. They were evidently great in size, as well as great in wickedness. They were superhuman, abnormal beings; and their destruction was necessary for the preservation of the Human race, and out of faithfulness of Jehova’s word (Gen. 3:5).

This is why the Flood was brought “upon the world of the ungodly” (II Pet.2:5) as prophesied by Enoch (Jude 4).

But we read of the “Nephilim” again in Numbers 13:33: “there we saw the Nephilim, the sons of Anak, which came of the “Nephilim”. How, it may be asked, could this be, if they were all destroyed in the Flood? The answer is contained in Gen.6:4, where we read: “There were Nephilim in the Earth in those days (i.e. in the days of Noah); and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became the mighty men (Heb. “Gibbor”, the heroes) which were of old, men of renown” (lit. men of the name”, i.e. who got a name and were renowned for their ungodliness).

So that “after that”, i.e. after the Flood, there was a second irruption of these fallen angels, evidently smaller in number and more limited in area, for they were for the most part confined to Canaan, and were in fact known as ”the nations of Canaan”. It was for the destruction of these, that the sword of Israel was necessary, as the Flood had been before.

As to the date of this second irruption, it was evidently soon after it became known that the seed was to come from Abraham; for, when he came out from Haran (Gen.12:6) and entered Canaan, the significant fact is stated: “The Canaanite was then (i.e. already) in the land.” And in Gen.14:5 they were already known as “Rephaim” and ”Emim” , and had established themselves at Ashteroth, Karnaim, and Shaveh Kiriathaim.

In Gen.15:18-21 they are enumerated and named among Canaanite peoples: “Kennites, and the Kinezzites, and the Rephaims, and the Amorites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites” (Gen.15:19-21; cp. Ex.3,8,17; Ex.23:23; Deut.7; Deut.20:17; Josh.12:8).

These were to be cut off, driven out, and utterly destroyed (Duet.20:17, Josh.3:10). But Israel failed in this (Josh.13:13,15:63,16:10,17:18; Judg.1:19,20,28,29,30-36;2:1-5;3:1-7); and we know not how many got away to other countries to escape the general destruction. If this were recognized it would go far to solve many problems connected with Anthropology.

Indeed, and it would go far towards answering many questions that I have always had about my origins and myself.

* Lord Sesshomaru *

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Lose your wings, gain a penis?

Honestly, I don't know without properly researching it. It is one of those things that always confused me too, but I just never took the time to look into it.

I always thought that the Nephilim were from Lilith's lineage. Also, I don't understand how mixing bloodlines would tarnish "true" religion, as it's not a genetic trait.

The only logical thing I can think of is that angels aren't sexless, (maybe Matthew refers to angels being polyamorous?) and that there were female angels, as there are female demons. If demons are so sexually charged and active(Incubi/Succubi for one example), it would make sense that angels are capable of sexual activity, as demons are, in essence, angels. Hence, maybe some of the angels/demons desired women instead of their female counterparts.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Steve
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

"Sons of the True God" would be an unnessesary expression if there were not something very different from the norm. Previously to that in Genesis references to the union of men and women it simply expressed what man and what woman it was who "knew" each other and "begat" whomever. Here, we find it is talking about a plural of begattings, but a classification of separate categories of the types of beings involved. If only mankind was spoken of, the most it would have said is sons of men and daughters of men. There was a reason for the distinction.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

angels who fell

they were drawn in by us lustful ladies apparently. *rolls eyes at the blame on women. Always a chicks fault that a man can't control his own mind and body. This is one part of the bible that always annoyed me. Men are all good and women are all bad. The apple was eve's fault, the angels are women's fault...

Pink angels that fall are incubus and succubus, not nephilim aka giant human beings.

Only giant warriors I know ever to have existed for real were the amazonian women who were the designers of the leather chariots that ruled the battlefields. Chicks who kicked Butt and made men feel inferior with their fighting skills is all that story is.

• LP S
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.

Sons of God = angels.

---

These "sons of God" are the fallen angels.

Jud 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

These angels left Heaven and came to earth without being born of women.

---

The "daughters of man" should be translated correctly, "the daughters of Adam"

The fallen angels wanted to pollute the bloodline of Christ so that Christ would not be born. but they fail.

• 1 decade ago

The Nephilim

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wheat and tares, tares are in the blood line. Fallen angels blood line is around today. At the end time the angels will weed them out.

• 1 decade ago

Most people say it's the offspring of angels and female humans, but it's not 100% conclusive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.