Should AMERICA Have A CANADIAN Style HEALTH CARE System?

something about government run health care that just makes me tense, just because little countries with about a tenth our population can make it work doesn't mean a nation of 300 million and 11 trillion in debt can.

i would rather pay for something to get done now than wait six months for the bureaucracy to clear up.

i do believe such a system will bankrupt this nation.

your take??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcs_1uOydZk

Youtube thumbnail

Update:

yes that is what they are proposing

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Canada just injected hundreds of billions of dollars in the form of "stimulus" to keep hospitals open. It's a never ending money-pit...

http://docs.house.gov/gopleader/House-Democrats-He...

Contrary to popular belief, we have the best health care in the world -- it's the health insurance costs we have a problem with. So there's no reason to cut an entire system when costs can be addressed responsibly.

I'm not sure why anyone looks at Medicare/Medicaid/Tricare/Medical/etc. etc. and thinks to themselves that Government Insurance is a great idea. A more appropriate move would be to identify exactly what we're up against. Medicare/Medicaid have unfunded liabilities of ~70 trillion dollars (with a T) which means they're broke. Medicare is cutting reimbursements to hospitals AGAIN by 21% by the end of the year. The hospital my g/f works at just cut her hours/benefits to compensate on top of making it practice policy to deny any patients insured by Medicare...they can't afford the losses.

Furthermore, the high premiums people are so vocal about are in large part caused by Government insurance reimbursements falling short of actual hospital costs -- some call that undercutting...others might call it theft. In any regard, hospitals have to re-couple those losses from somewhere...have your premiums gone up again recently? I wonder how those increases coincided w/ Medicare's intent to cut reimbursements by another 21% by the end of 2009?

There's a lot going on here -- people need to inform themselves before jumping on that failing bandwagon...b/c if they're not careful, they're going to get exactly what they're asking for.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07162009/photos/news_g...

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Who says you'd have to model your health care after Canada's. There are many countries with universal health care and no 2 are the same. Our system did not come the way it is now when first introduced. There have been changes over the years. Obama has made a start. If he gets elected again the people will have 4 years to get used to the system and I predict the people won't allow things to go back to the way they were before. The biggest obstacle to universal health care in the US is your political system. There are too many cooks in your kitchen.

• Koria
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Yes, it would make perfect sense. In theory, we have 1/6th of the population without health insurance. If they all went out and bought insurance, it would reduce our premiums. Also, according to the Economist magazine, the US subsidizes emploer paid insurance premiums pre-tax at about $250 billion annually.

Since you can't force people to buy, you can force taxes.

Therefore, add to the payroll tax the % needed and cap it off for anyone who makes more than 150,000/yr (In theory, the rich do not need to be taxed for health costs that they will never use. Same logic is used for Social Security benefits).

Those who pay premiums now, will most likely see the tax repalce their premiums paid.

Those who were not paying, will now have to pay.

• 1 decade ago

The Canadian people come here for treatment to save the lives of their loved ones. Does that answer your question. It will not work. Write your congressman because they are trying to pass this thing before the first of Aug. recess.

The repubs have better ideas, but the dems just ignore them. That is the way Obama works things along with Pelosie.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, it should not! Gov. run health care will be a disaster! If Canadian style health care is so great, why do they come to the U.S., for health care on a regular basis?

• 1 decade ago

Agreed. There has to be a better way than government takover. It's not like you wake up in the morning and think, "Hmm, I would really like Congress to take over my health, "

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Govt. run anything is a bad idea...

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

...Thomas Jefferson

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I guess if we had an "america" to cover us on high risk births and other such medical procedures you can't get very often in Canada, then I would be open to it, but we have no support country near by.

• 1 decade ago

No, and that's not what anyone is proposing.

No, they aren't proposing Canadian-style healthcare. Canadian healthcare is government run. What they are proposing for America is like the French system, where a public option competes with private insurers. And FYI, France has the best healthcare system in the world.

• 1 decade ago

No, we'll need our own version. Fortunately, the proposed health care bill is very unlike the Canadian method.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.