Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.
What qualifications does a sport have to reach to become an olympic sport?
I am trying to find out if ultimate frisbee has a change at becoming one any time soon, i would love to go out for this countries team.
- charlesLv 61 decade agoFavorite Answer
1.) the international federation of the sport must be a member of IOC.
2.) the sport must be practice in over 75 countries in 4 continents for men and at least 40 countries in 3 continents for women. (at least 20 countries in 3 continents in Winter sports)
3.) the sport have adopted and implemented the World Anti-Dope Code
4.) Be admitted to Olympic program seven years before the Olympic Games.
Frisbee is currently included as a World Games sport.Source(s): wikipedia
- catloverLv 61 decade ago
I dont think the chances are very big at the moment...however, ultimate is spreading like wildfire so I am sure it will become an Olympic Sport soon.
For now, you can try out for the Worlds Team. USA just beat Japan for the Gold last week.
Go to www.UPA.org and read all about it....its at the top on the home page.
- SmartLv 71 decade ago
1. Popular in many nations and it particularly it seems to help to be popular in Europe (good bye baseball and softball)
2. Host counrty has right to select two sports to add to the Olympics they are staging.
3. At this point in history the sport should be played by both men and women. (boxing only hangs on because it's still popular in Europe)
4. Have an international organization governing rules and officiating standards.
5. Apply to the IOC to late for London maybe 2016.
- 1 decade ago
No specific qualifications, each sport is voted on by an Olympic committee. The sports that are accepted change each year
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 1 decade ago
You would probally have to represent a letter or e-mail to the (IOC) International Olympic Committee. they are in charge of who gets to qualify for the olympics, and the rules of the games.Source(s): me