How does a Stafford loan work for a US student at a Canadian university?

This is not a "Can I? Question - I know that part. I need to know HOW this works. The point-person at the Canadian U I'm planning on attending for grad school hasn't gotten back to me, and I can't get ahold of her. With only 1.5 months to go, I'm getting a bit frustrated. My award package... show more This is not a "Can I? Question - I know that part. I need to know HOW this works.

The point-person at the Canadian U I'm planning on attending for grad school hasn't gotten back to me, and I can't get ahold of her. With only 1.5 months to go, I'm getting a bit frustrated. My award package doesn't pay out until the 3rd week of the term, and I can't last that long on what little savings I have.
Update: Who handles the loan? When does payment occur? Is it direct to me, or to the U? Do I have to line up the bank, and if so, does it have to be a US bank?

thanks