Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

michael asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

what is the news about Lamar odom?

i have been out of the US for a period of time and am looking for a short explanation about this news about Lamar Odom leaving LA? does he want to leave? are they getting rid of him? i dont know anything about this.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • STEVE
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Lamar Odom wants to listen to other offers before signing with a team. He wants $50 Mil over 5-years.

The Lakers offered him a 3-year $27 Mil contract, but that offer is off the table since Odom never responded to them.

Dallas and Miami have shown some interest in Odom. Unlike California, there is no state income tax in Florida or Texas.

Portland- Since Toronto signed Turkolgu, and Utah has matched Portland's offer to Millsap, that'll free up enough money to sign Odom to the 5-year $50 Mil contract he wants. Odom will sign with them if they do.

Bottom Line: Odom will sign with one of four teams: Blazers, Mavericks, Lakers, Heat.

• 1 decade ago

This is what happened. Lakers started free agency trying to resign Odom and Ariza, contract disputes between Kupchak and Ariza's agent David Lee did not work out...Ariza was looking for 10million per season and the Lakers were unwilling, so Ariza went to Houston for the MLE 5 years 34million, ironically, the same amount the Lakers were offering. Lakers in turn signed Artest.

Then they were looking at Odom, again another problem with the agent. Jeff Schwartz was asking for 10 million per season for 5 years. Lakers were offering 9 million per season for 3-4 year contracts. That would be 27 million for 3 years and 36 million for 4 years. Odom wanted a 5 year deal, but he would accept taking 9 million per season.

Jeff Schwartz, not telling Lakers owner Jerry Buss whether they would accept the 3-4 year deals or not, decided to start negotiating with the Heat and I believe Portland. Once Buss heard about this, he got upset and pulled the offer off the table.

Reality set in for Odom, because all the Heat can offer is 5 years 34 milllion, and it is reported from Jim Hill that Odom reached out to Jerry Buss himself over the weekend to re-open contract talks.

A lot of drama, but a deal should be done by the end of this week, in my opinion, I believe that he will be back with the Lakers. Kobe and Artest have contacted Odom last week about resigning, which is good leverage since Odom and Artest used to play on the same high school basketball team and they are both from Queens, New York.

• 1 decade ago

Odom has not said he wants to be a Heat. N also supposibly Odom wanted to except the laker deal but his agent said no. So Odom is holding out for more money. He knows it'll be a big mistake if he leaves L.A cuz he can get another ring there

• 1 decade ago

Lakers pulled out the US36 million offer to Lamar Odom for 4 years or US30 million for 3 years because according to one executive from the Lakers Odom agent's is not serious with the negotiation and they want US45 million for 5 years. Also according to the news Odom is negotiating with the Heat for posible return to his former team.

Source(s): www.Fannation.com
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The Lakers just took back their offer on a new contract for Odom, but negotiations are still ongoing. I doubt they'll let him leave without a fight.

• 1 decade ago

Odom wants a 5-years contract worth $45M. Lakers offered him 4-years worth of $36M. I guess they are $9M away to get the deal done.

• 1 decade ago

i'm pretty sure lamar odom will still remain in LA except if there's a big bucks form other team.

• the LA Lakers, offered Lamar, 9 million per year for three years, but that's not what his agent was looking, for he wanted 10 million for 5 years. and ever since the Lakers offered they haven't heard from Lamar, so they take back the offer, but it's not officially the ending of Lamar with the Lakers. And supposedly the Utah Jazz are intersted in him, so he can help out Carlos boozer down low in the post

• Jose
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

No, Odom is out of LA and is already going to go visit the Miami Heat. He wants to go back home to South Beach to play with Wade, Beasley, and company.....

• 1 decade ago

He will eventually sign with the Lakers wince NOBODY ELSE can give him an offer higher than what the lakers have already offered him..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.