Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

How does the sea/shore tour rotation in the Navy work?

I'm signed up to be an IS in the Navy (I go to boot camp in September). And I read somewhere that my first sea tour will be 36 months, and my first shore tour will be 36 months... Now does that mean I'll be out at sea for three years then I come back to the US for three years? Or how does it work? Thanks... Sorry, this is probably a stupid question with a simple answer.

• Mrsjvb
    Favorite Answer

sea duty means you are assigned to a ship( or sub) for 36 months. you may be underway most of that time.. or hardly any of that time. Shore duty means you are assigned to shore based installation.. stateside..or OCONUS. and don't be lulled into a false sense of security.. you can deploy from shore duty too. IAs/GSAs are becoming the norm rather than the exception.

Normal deployment for the Navy is 6-7 months long every 1-2 years. Although most people go every 2 years (or rather 18 months), some people have gone 6/6 (6 months deployed, 6 months stay). Some people were even deployed for only 3 months (watta heck is up with that??).

ASSUMING what you have read is true (and i'm guessing it isn't), you looks like the 6/6 for a 6-year contract.

Now of course... reserves are much different.

Source(s): I am a U.S. navy seabee

Intel specialist eh?

For MOST jobs the rotation is 18 months on shore than 6 months at sea. So pretty much one 6 month tour every 2 years. Which from the looks of your information it looks like you might only have to go on tour once every 4 years..

• sigman

in user-friendly terms % a occupation which you somewhat p.c. and which you be conscious of you would be happy doing, and discover out which branch can grant the substantial for the occupation selection. I understand no longer desiring to be deployed, yet at the same time because it somewhat is the case then i ought to represent you to spend extra effective time determining whether if the militia is for you. If being deployed won't make you happy, then you extremely optimum probably isn't happy interior the militia.

this completely depends on what ship/sub your on, the command, and their specific rotation.

some ships dont go out to sea very often and others are out constantly. when you get assigned your first duty station, you will be granted a sponser. they will know more about the rotation schedule.

most rotations are 6 months out to sea and 12 to 18 months in port, though you will still go out on shorter underways.

It means you will be assigned to a ship for 3 years first. The ship can be on deployment, in dry dock for overhaul, in a training period or in standown for 6 months after deployment.

Source(s): USN OSC Retired.

tricky aspect. lookup from google. that may help!