Are there any NFL or college head coaches that didn't play football?

???

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Nancy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the most part I think schools and NFL teams are past the bias of the earlier years. If they have the opportunity to get a well qualified coach, they will hire him whether he be White, Black, Latino, Middle Eastern, or Asian. Abilities as a coach cannot be and are not defined by his color. Yes there are a far greater number of white coaches at the higher levels, but thats because they were the best for the job when the interviews were taking place. Things will balance out sooner or later. Like you said black players make up a majority of the NFL, they are the most respected anyway, I dont think I've ever seen anyone walk down the street wearing a Don Shula shirt, or kids saying they want to be just like Joe Paterno when they grow up.

• 1 decade ago

Charlie Weis, Notre Dame...Went there, but didn't play football...

Bill Belichick...Long time NFL assistant coach before becoming Head Coach, and played HS football, but never played major college or NFL football...

• 1 decade ago

I think Mike Holmgreen was a tennis coach before he was a NFL coach

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, I don't believe Bill Walsh ever played and he is one of the best coaches in history. Knowledge of what to do on the field is more important than the physical ability to actually do what you are teaching.

• 1 decade ago

Yes there has been tons of guys like that. Think of the guys that are way better and know alot about football, but aren't capable to play it. It's like saying Yes you know your route but can you run it fast and powerful? Those coaches were the guys that couldn't but are really smart in the game.

• 1 decade ago

Yes there are actually a few coach who haven't played before but studied football hard and so far have pre-vailed

• 1 decade ago

Bill Walsh was a boxer. Mike Leach at Texas Tech is a lawyer.

• crd89
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Charlie Weis, Mike Leach, and Mark Mangino just to name a few.

• Dave P
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I know there is, but I couldn't tell you exactly how many or who they all are. I don't think Gruden ever played in college, and I know he didn't in the NFL.

• 1 decade ago

Mark Mangino of the Kansas Jayhawks never played, but look how well he has done at KU!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.