Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Should I buy a heart guard for fast pitch softball?

I play for a 12U fast pitch softball tournament team. I noticed today that two of my friends had black straps around their necks under their uniform. I asked them about it, and they said they were heart guards. One of my friends said that if you good hit with a really hard line drive in you chest between heart beats, it could knock you unconscious.

I'm not a bad player, so I think if a line drive were coming at my chest, I would defend myself. However, accidents happen, and I do play 3rd base and sometimes short stop.

Is it worth the money to buy a heart guard? Besides a mouth guard or sliding pad, there isn't any other equipment I should worry about, right?

Thanks for the answers!

Oh, and does anyone know where I can buy one (if I should get it)? I checked the Sports Authority and Dick's Sporting Goods website and I didn't see any.

• Best Answer

Honestly, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I'm a pitcher for my high school and I've been hit with countless line drives while pitching in the past 10 years. I've been hit in the temple, my nose, throat, and a lot in the chest. I've never been knocked out once. Maybe softballs are different because of size.

However baseball are smaller but they travel faster.

Get it if you want. I see know point in it.

• arlina

Baseball Heart Guard

Heart Guard Baseball

Having been a parent of two sons and a daughter that played baseball or softball, I would never have thought a heart guard was necessary, (they didn't have such a thing anyway). With a grand daughter playing fast pitch softball, why take the chance? How many ball fields or teams have an AED (automated external defibrillator), that's what it takes if you do get hit and your heart stops. In the time it takes a squad with an AED or regular defibrillator to get there, your kid or grand kid is long dead. No brainer for me.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I play for a 12U fast pitch softball tournament team. I noticed today that two of my friends had black straps around their necks under their uniform. I asked them about it, and they said they were heart guards. One of my friends said that if you good hit with a really hard line drive in you chest...

Source(s): buy heart guard fast pitch softball: https://tr.im/ZLDJY
  • Nancy

At their age there will be no problem using slow pitch balls as batting practice/ practice balls... make sure those balls are not used in a game tho. 1. They will be illegal; which could result in forfeit/fines 2. You will be playing at a disadvantage if you are the team at bat while that ball is being used. (Slow pitch balls do not travel as fast as a fast pitch balls when leaving a bat because of compression and COR.. I play mens league and my wife is a college softball coach.. so this question to me is like asking Ric Flair how to properly apply a figure 4 leg lock lol)

Well the guy about baseball didnt consider that the distance between bases for softball is like half of baseball. If you feel more secure I would get one but I wouldn't worry about it too much. If people told me about it I would probably get paranoid and you don't wanna like avoid fielding a ball cuz your afraid of getting knocked out.

• Honestly you probably don't need one, but you seem concerned enough that wearing one might give you a sense of security and be able to play more aggressively, so go for it. I wore one in Little League because I was afraid I would die if I got hit in the chest, but looking back it was probably unnecessary. It did give me a feeling of protection though and allowed me to be more aggressive on the field. It's like Yogi said "Half the game is 90% mental."

ok im sorry, but that is the stupidest thing ive ever heard of. i played softball for 12 years through varsity in high school. i never had a "heart guard" bc they probably hadnt been invented yet to make money off paranoid people about getting hurt.

dont get one, itll be a waste of money

It's a condition called commotio cordis (see link below), and though it is a rare occurrence, it is definitely not impossible.

If not being protected is going to distract you and inhibit your gameplay, then it's better to be safe than sorry and get the heart guard. They don't seem to be too expensive (see link below) or uncomfortable, so there's really no harm in wearing one just in case.