Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How can I stop my dogs scent marking their beds?

I have two young male pugs who are house-trained except that occasionally they will pee on their beds in their own room. I have attributed this to scent marking and it means I cannot put blankets in their beds without them ruining them! They do not do this anywhere else in the house or in my presence, only when they are on their own, so I cannot train them otherwise. They get along fine and aren't competitive and they don't even do it elsewhere in their room. Is there anything I can buy or do to stop them doing this?

PS. Please don't suggest neutering as an answer as this is not an option and they do not display any aggressive behaviour, humping or scenting elsewhere.

I am asking for constructive solutions so passing comment on how I treat my dogs is not helpful. They are loved, fussed, spoilt, get plenty of exercise and care and love eachother. This happens when I / they go to bed at night (after being let outside to do toilet) and inevitably have to be left by themselves! (Much as I would like to be with them 24/7).

To clarify, they do get taken out by either myself or my husband at night UNTIL they do their business. And they aren't really small puppies any more, one is ten months and the other fifteen months, hence them both being fully house trained. Thanks for answers so far, I'm thinking the feeding in bed solution is a good one. Keep the answers coming please!

Favorite Answer

Feed them in their beds. Put the dishes actually in the bed itself.

Dogs won't soil where they eat so this is a common way to cure dogs that soil in their cages or beds.

For me, the big clue was in your additional details. You said that you let them out to go to the toilet. Even an older dog does not appreciate that if you let it out for a pee, that it's their last change to have a pee before bedtime. They will sniff around in the garden/yard when you let them out on their own and they may not get a pee. You must TAKE them out for their last pees and stay out with them until they pee.

I don't think that they are scent marking when they pee on their beds, I think that they have failed to get a pee when they were let out and that they cannot hold on.

In future during the day you should try to TAKE each dog out separately and wander around the garden with IT. As the puppy pees tell him what it's doing, I say "get one" then I go over the top with praise and possibly give it a treat.

I appreciate that it's difficult with two puppies, however I think that you should try this. As for the peed on bedding, you should wash this is a biological washing machine powder to ensure that the smell of pee is obliterated. Then you should put newspapers on the floor at night that has been dipped in the pee that they have done in the garden.

Good Luck.

Source(s): Dorothy S

There's no way you can train a puppy in a couple of days. Sorry. Training any puppy takes a few weeks at least. That's just for basic potty and chewing training - obedience training like "sit", "stay", "heel" etc will take even longer. Read here https://tr.im/05juU

Do not rush your puppy when it comes to training. He won't learn effectively and at the end of the day you'll just have a puppy that's highly confused and will only do what he's supposed to half the time.

Besides, after he's trained, you'll still need to spend time walking him, feeding him, cleaning up after him, grooming him and bringing him for his regular shots at the vet.

If you have a hectic job schedule, it's best to maybe return the puppy politely. Dogs need a lot of attention at a young age, and shouldn't be left alone in the house for long periods of time - not only because they will chew up your things, but also because it can be quite psychologically damaging to a puppy.

This is why people shouldn't be giving away pets as presents.

I agree with the feeding in their beds suggestion. My puppy b itch started by peeing etc. in her crate overnight. I told my vet and she said feed her in there and it will stop - it did. I'm not sure whether this will work with males doing this because this is marking whereas my puppy was just 'going'. Happily although I've kept entire males, and stud males at that, none of mine ever did this. Yes, castration might help, but it doesn't always work. You might consider castrating one of these boys (are they litter brothers, because if so, there may be a dominance thing going on, even if they don't actually fight). If you do this, pick the more submissive of the two because if the dominant one doesn't get a reaction, he may stop peeing.

Another suggestion - if this happens overnight, get them separate crates and have them in your room with you. If they are with you, they may not stir during the night, and if they don't stir during the night, they won't pee!!

Hope one of these ideas works.

i've had this problem as well, and i hate to say it but neutering seems like the most effective way to stop it. you said he does it when you're not around, which means you can't correct the behavior because you didn't see it. i really can't think of anything but neutering that will fix this problem if he won't spray in your presence. do you breed them, or is there something medically wrong with them why it is not an option? maybe the bear pee someone suggested would work =/ who knows

Hello silver ,

This is a very comprehensive dog training guide written by daniel stevens.

works for all breeds and sizes of dogs

This should help

Maybe their just jealous. They need more attention. Take them outside more too

get wolf or bear pee, andput little dabs of it around the bed, on the wooden base or somehwere where it wont get absorbed.