Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Liberals: How did you feel when Democrats blocked Miguel Estrada's judicial nomination cause he was latino?

Memos from the Democratic staff of the Judiciary Committee were later unearthed, revealing that they considered Estrada "especially dangerous" -- as stated in a memo by a Sen. Dick Durbin staffer -- because "he is Latino and the White House seems to be grooming him for a Supreme Court appointment."

Sandy Berger wasn't available to steal back the memos, so Durbin ordered Capitol Police to seize the documents from Senate computer servers and lock them in a police vault.

Led by Sens. Leahy and Chuck Schumer, Democrats ferociously opposed Estrada, who would have been the first Hispanic to sit on the influential U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. They were so determined to keep him off the Supreme Court that Leahy and Schumer introduced legislation at one point to construct a fence around Estrada's house.

In frustration, Estrada finally withdrew his name on Sept. 5, 2003.

At the time, liberal historian David Garrow predicted that if the Democrats blocked Estrada, they would be "handing Bush a campaign issue to use in the Hispanic community."

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It wasn't because he was a Latino. It was because he wasn't qualified.

• 1 decade ago

No, they were not "memos from the Democratic staff of the Judiciary Committee." It was *one* memo written by *one* Senate staff member (not a staff member of the Judiciary Committee) after meeting with a group of representatives from various groups--the NAACP, People for the American Way, Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, etc., with his opinion on what they were saying.

He wasn't confirmed for the federal court because he was Latino, he was fought because he was a conservative Latino with little judicial experience.

And no, they never introduced legislation to build a fence around his house.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Democratic Senators opposed the nomination, noting Estrada's lack of any prior judicial experience at the local, state, or federal level. Democratic Senators also objected to the refusal by the Office of the Solicitor General to release samples of Estrada's writings while employed there.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The entire source for this memo is Karl Rove. I don't care what that man says about anything - the notion that Democrats obstructed a judicial nominee for being Hispanic is stupid. Or did you not see a Republican senator actually imitate Ricky Ricardo in his questioning of Sotomayor today?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Oh I get it..when you oppose a judicial appointee candidate of minority exctraction it is based on his lack of qualifications. To do the same for a minority presidential candidate is just "racist."

Goddamn liberals never cease to amaze me.

• 1 decade ago

That is interesting. Can you provide a link to a credible source?

• 1 decade ago

I think you need to read more, that's what I think. And less between the lines, more of the information...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

he had no experience so that isa little different and democrats dont oppose minoritys or women that is a republican thing

• Em
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I felt fine about it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ohhh you are not suppose to say that they do not want to remember their racism

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.