Monica
Monica asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Good slow cooker recipes?

I'm looking for easy and good slow cooker recipes. We just recently got a slow cooker and I love the concept b/c dinner is ready for me when I get home from work, but we have no idea what to make in it. If part of the recipe is searing or browning the meat beforehand, it's not gonna happen. I need something I can throw in the crockpot first thing in the morning before I leave for work and have it ready when I come home. For instance we just put a pork roast in yesterday morning with a can of chicken broth, onion, garlic and red-skinned potatoes quartered and had delicious pulled pork sandwiches when we got home.

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!!

I'm confused - so is every meat going to end up making that "pulled' meat that goes well in a sandwich that kind of falls apart?

• West
    Best Answer

Slow-Cooker Beef Short Ribs

You won't believe how good these ribs are!!! I think we could have these every other night with no complaints! They're YUMMY!!!!

by MizzNezz

½ day | 10 min prep

* 1/3 cup flour

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1/4 teaspoon pepper

* 2 1/2 lbs boneless beef short ribs

* 1/4 cup butter

* 1 cup chopped onion

* 1 cup beef broth

* 3/4 cup red wine vinegar

* 3/4 cup brown sugar

* 1/4 cup chili sauce

* 2 tablespoons catsup

* 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

* 2 tablespoons minced garlic

* 1 teaspoon chili powder

1. Put flour, salt and pepper in a bag.

2. Add ribs and shake to coat.

3. Brown ribs in butter in a lg skillet.

4. Put in slow cooker.

5. In same skillet, combine remaining ingredients.

6. Bring to a boil, stirring.

7. Pour over ribs.

8. Cover and cook on low for 9 hours.

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

INGREDIENTS

* 1 onion, chopped

* 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans

* 1 (15 ounce) can black beans

* 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained

* 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

* 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer or white grape or apple juice

* 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained

* 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning

* 3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts

* shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)

* sour cream (optional)

* crushed tortilla chips (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.

2. Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.

FOOTNOTE

Did you know Allrecipes is home to over 400 crock pot recipes? The five star recipes are very awesome.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-T...

Chicken and Dumplings (There are great variations in the reviews)

INGREDIENTS

* 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

* 2 tablespoons butter

* 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup

* 1 onion, finely diced

* 2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces

(You can add a small bag of frozen peas/carrots or other veggies)

DIRECTIONS

1. Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover.

2. Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High. About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-a...

At least you're realistic about the amount of preparation you're willing to do.

Your local library probably has several cookbooks which contain nothing but slowcooker recipes, and other cookbooks with slowcooking sections. If your library doesn't have these books, ask the librarian for an interlibrary loan.

My basic recipe is to put a large chunk of some sort of meat in the cooker, add a little liquid, and possibly add some minced dried onions. The minced dried onions can be found in the spice & seasoning section of the store, and they work very well in a slow cooker. I think that they taste better than fresh onions, and they are certainly much faster to use.

The cheaper cuts of meat are actually better in a slow cooker than the more expensive ones. The cooker will give the cheap cuts time to break down over the long cooking period. So, use dark chicken meat, thighs or drumsticks, rather than breasts. Use a chuck or 7 blade roast, rather than round.

Canned broth is great to put in a slow cooker, or use flavor base, mixing it with a little hot water. I like Better than Buillion flavor base, as it has a lot less sodium than buillion cubes. Wine is a great liquid to add, too. Just remember that slow cooking will produce a lot of liquid, and you usually won't need to add more than a cup.

Slow cooking is a great way to keep from heating up the house, too.

A slow-cooker is your friend If you don't have much experience.

Start with peeled & diced root vegetables: potatoes or turnips,

carrots or parsnips, then flavourings: onions or leeks, celery, etc.

Put in whatever cheaper meat cuts you like: Chicken, Beef Chuck

or Round Steak, Pork Butt or Ham Shoulder, Lamb Shanks, etc.

Small veggies: peas, corn, green beans, go in the last 15 minutes.

Add over 1 cup of liquid to prevent scorching: water, stock, wine, etc.

Cook 5-7 hours on Lo, or 3-5 hours on Hi, the longer the better.

Source(s): Any meat is going to be fork tender. Browning just improves taste.

The thing I love about slow cookers is a recipe isn't really necesary. Take your meat, add a liquid, water does fine, but doesn't add flavour, and add some veggies you have on hand (if you have smaller veggies like corn kernals, add them 10 mins before you get home) and you're good to go.

Club House makes flavour pouches for slowcookers, they're pretty good. Comes with suggested veggies and everything on the back, which you don't NEED to follow, but gives you a good idea for amounts.

I get a fresh pork roast, rub it in garlic powder and salt. Take foil and set the roast in it and if you have some beer, pour about a cup or water if you don't. Wrap the foil around the roast and set in in the slow cooker, low for 12 hours. I swear, it's the best pork roast you ever had. Be sure to save the juice to pour over the cooked meat so it doesn't dry out.

CHILI CHICKEN

1 pkg. corn tortillas, cut into bite size pieces

2-4 c. cooked, boned chicken

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can chili (with or without beans)

12 oz. can chicken broth

1 or 2 cans sm. green chilies, diced

Directions

Stew and bone chicken. Cut into bite size pieces. Mix together chili, chicken broth, soups and green chilies. Layer sauce, tortillas and chicken. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Top with cheese the last 5 minutes. May be made in crockpot or microwave (decrease liquid to at least half.)

4-6 servings

Serving Suggestions

Garden salad

Well, you could make a home made curry. My mum does great home made curry and serves it with rice. You just buy a couple of tins/jars of curry sauce, add chicken/pork cut into pieces and also chopped onion and pineapple chunks (which tastes great in the curry, I promise). I always enjoy it. And better yet, if some people find curry too spicy, they can add either cream or milk to their portion of curry sauce. I like to pour a bit of milk onto my curry sometimes and it does make it a bit less spicy. =o]

1

Toss in a couple of chicken breast, cover with your fave bbq sauce, set to low and by the time you get home yummy pulled chicken.

Meats will be very tender and most will fall apart.