Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why are my Minnesota senators asking Sotomayor about baseball and Perry Mason?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Al Franken told Minnesotans with a serious tone that he would represent all of them...Including the 59% that didnt vote for him.. and that he took the job seriously..

It took less than a week for him to fail and embarrass himself.

• Diana
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

They are just like any other politician. You can't get a straight answer or question out of them.

Seems like the senators now a days don't have the moxie to get right to the point. Half of them act like their on Comedy Central.

• Spydr
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It's because Sotomayor is telling tales that are like living in fantasyland

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

hes a comedian what'd you expect? he was trying to be funny, from what i heard people did think it was funny. with all the other monotonous garbage at that confirmation hearing i dont think it matters much that he made a joke. probably the most interesting thing that happened. some other lady went on for 5 minutes about how she used to work at wal mart with no reason for her story so i dont think anything one could have said at that shindig would necessarily be inappropriate. ur just mad because your a republican and want to split some hairs. I know it's hard to lose but you should be a man about it. nobody likes a whiner.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Franken was just making reference to her story about Perry Mason being her first inspiration to pursue a legal career. I don't know what the baseball reference is in relation to. But these hearings, especially when there is little doubt as to the outcome, often have moments of intentional levity.

• 1 decade ago

If you know anything about Sotomayer, you would know that she has been credited with saving Major League Baseball (a multi billion dollar industry) with a major ruling during the lock out/strike a few years back.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is no different then having pre-determined question in every town hall meeting 0bama atteneded during the presidential race. it is no differnt then 0bama answering 0 legitimate questions from the american citizen since his inauguration. In fact it is the Democratic way and if you expected anything different; I am sorry.

• 1 decade ago

Because Oklahoma Senators were allowed to do a Ricki Ricardo impression so it's only fair.

• 1 decade ago

Minnesota DEMOCRAT Senators enjoy coasting.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because the woman is obviously qualified and these hearings are a waste of time, that's why. The Senate should've merely voted to confirm her.

Edit: Yes I did, actually. I disagree with basically Alito thinks, I think he's a right-wing zealot, but he's also qualified to sit on the Court and there was never any real chance of not confirming him. Hearings are stupid and pointless when everyone already knows what the outcome will be. Love Sotomayor or hate her, she has the qualifications to sit on the Court and she WILL be confirmed, so these hearings are just a dog & pony show. A waste of time, a way for Sen. Sessions to show us all what a racist jackass he is, and for Sen. Kyle to demonstrate that he doesn't know anything about international law.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.