sunbear171 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Dog training techniques. Just the basics.?

Okay I got sit now i need stay, and come, and no or leave it. What are some good techniques to train these things?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

First teaching the come:

1. Prepare a variety of tasty treats, but make sure you don't overdue you don't want your dog to get diarrhea.

2. Attach a long leash (usually called a tracking lead) to your dog’s collar.

3. Keep one end of it in your hand, while slowly walking away.

4. When you are pretty far away kneel down to the dogs level and open your arms wide, as if asking for a hug.

5. Call him to you with a cheery voice: “(rover), come!”

6. If the dog doesn’t respond, give the line a ‘quick tug’: short and sharp.

Please note: you are not to use the leash drag him towards you. It’s a quick physical reminder that he needs to listen to you.

7. As soon as your dog starts walking towards you, praise him in a calm, happy tone of voice: “Goooood boy, what a goooood boy!” Praise him when he starts to come to you,

8. As soon as he gets to you, give him a treat, or if your dog has a favorite toy give him that instead.

The "Drop it" command.

1. Hold a treat in one hand, and give him a favorite toy or a treat with the other.

2. Let him really get a good taste then hold a small piece of treat-food near his nose and say “Drop it”.

3. When he drops it give him the other treat immediately and say "Good Boy!"

Practice both exercises about 5 to ten times per day. But try to end on a high note: stop each exercise while when they do it right. Be sure to give plenty of praise at the end of the training.

If you want to learn more please visit my website I am a dog trainer at Blue Ribbon K9 Dog Training Center here in Las Vegas Nevada.

I hope this helps.

Dave

• 1 decade ago

Repetition and Persistence are the key to training.

When performing action commands like sit, stay, etc. you generally want to use a voice command and a hand signal at the same time.

Sit: raise your hand up with palm to the sky

Stay: hold your hand up with open hand or a fist

Come: pat your thigh or bring your hand to your side

No and Leave It are pretty much voice commands. You will get the best results with these on a leash. Take the dog to places where you can practice like the park or for a walk down the street. Or, setup some temptations in the front yard like a food bowl or toy and practice that way. Eventually, the dog will recognize your command and obey you off the leash.

• Ann
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://bitly.im/aM4yD

A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.

• keezy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

For stay first put the dog in the stay position that you are teaching (each position will need to be taught separately but after you have solid the others come easier) then just stand next to the dog so that you can put them back in the position if they "brake". After a few seconds release and praise. Very gradually increase the time that you wait before releasing and praising. You may quietly praise while they are doing it. Then increase the distance that you are from the dog in small steps (each time you increase the distance decrease the time and then build the time back up) If the dog "brakes preposition and as soon as they are back in the correct position praise softly.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Watch the Dog Whisperer... haha... just kidding.

I've found that a useful training tool is putting some coins in an empty soda can, tape the opening, and shake it when the dog does something wrong... like not staying, or jumping on you, etc... say NO when you shake it to enforce NO... soon you won't need it at all.

• 1 decade ago

well since u got sit then that is good u need to work on stay and come which are the most valued parts when you work with come have a cheerful voice and squat done and clap your hands and say come if that dosent work it may sound odd but works i done it with my dog run backwords and say come and when he starts to run after u stop running and wait for him to come and praise him really well now stay is trickey you need a collar and a leash and u need to raise your hand like a stop sign and say stay while holding up the leash and the collar and if he moves dont be to rough on him but you need to choke him down to stay and make sure he does what u want and that you are the boss and i know choking down the dog is going to be the equlivant to animal cruelty to people on here but it isnt when you are training them because dog training is not a nice thing you have to be stern with them and make them do what you want not what they want to do so i hope i helped

Source(s): training retrievers to hunt
  • Repetition and reward. Use clear concise commands with physical enforcement if necessary (meaning push her butt down for sit, a hand held out for stay...not physical punishment). Reward her immediately for a good response. Never command something and allow her to ignore you. If she doesn't sit...don't give up and walk away, MAKE her sit. Again, don't be mean just show her what you want. Good Luck.

• 1 decade ago

stay- tell ur dog to sit then take a step away then reward. then take two steps ex....

come- call ur dog if he/she comes then reward if not dont.

leave it- take two treats and put one by ur dog[ works better if dog nos stay] then take one treat in ur hand tell the dog to leave the other one and if he does then give the treat in ur hand.

Source(s): its me or the dog
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.