Why does NADH produce 3 ATP while QH2 and FADH2 only produce 2 ATP?

I learned in my biochemistry class that for every one molecule of NADH give rise to 3 ATP while QH2 (ubiquinol) and FADH2 only produce 2 ATP. Why is this? What process does each molecule have to go through to give rise to the ATP they yield? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

NADH feeds its electrons into the electron transport chain at the beginning (Complex I). FADH2 feeds into the electron transport chain at Complex II (at a lower energy level down the chain). The high energy electrons from NADH have sufficient energy to result in 3 ATP whereas the lower energy electrons in FADH2 have only energy for 2 ATP.

The donated electrons are passed along the electron transport chain from high energy level to low energy level (O2 is the final acceptor) via Complexes I - IV. As the energy is given up protons (H+) are pumped from the matrix of the mitochondria into the space between the inner and outer membranes of the mitochondria., thus establishing a H+ concentration gradient. The H+ then diffuse back through the ATP synthase in the inner membrane to the matrix resulting in ATP synthesis.

Why Nadh Produce 3 Atp

• Ash

Look at the diagram (URL is given in the source.)

When electron start from NADH to complex V, 3 ATPs are produced.

When electron start from FADH2 (just after the NADH and before the first ATP formation), 2 ATPs are formed.

Thus, 3 ATPs are formed in electron transport chain by one NADH. 2 ATPs are produced by the FADH2 because one ATP is already formed by the NADH (as shown in the figure)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): nadh produce 3 atp qh2 fadh2 produce 2 atp: https://shortly.im/26AEJ