can anyone please tell me what liquid smoke is as in american food recipes?

I quit 5 years ago and what seemed logical to me was to smoke a cigar once in a while if the cravings got really bad. That way I would not inhale (too strong), but I'd get the whole general smoking experience. That worked well. At first I had a couple a month, now I hardly ever even want a cigar, maybe a few a year (they are nasty). For me, there are no more cravings, it's just mental, mostly. I think the physical addiction is out of your system in a few days actually.

• To put it simply liquid smoke is made by passing water over charcoal...it's of course processed but that's it. It gives whatever it's used on a outdoor right off the grill smell & taste and is usually used on meats such as chicken, hamburgers, steaks, ribs.....especially good if you are doing BBQ in the oven but want that grilled outdoors over hot charcoal taste. Funny, I was looking for some the other day...store was out of it, dang! lol.

its a dark caramel-colored dressing, gives a flavor of bbq without bbg'ing......