Why do truckers flash their high beams when I pass them at night?

I've noticed that if I'm on the freeway and happen to pass a big rig, the driver of the truck flashes their lights at me once I'm in front of them. I don't even have to be trying to pass them. I may just be in my lane, going 70, and they're in their lane, going 55-60, then BOOM, my mirrors are invaded by a big flash of light. So what's the purpose of this? I've read that it's done as a courtesy to other truckers to let them know they can merge, but I've had this happen when there hasn't been anything but me and the truck on the road.

Favorite Answer

You have it exactly right. The only other reason I can think of is that you blinded them with you high-beams and they are telling you to turn them off.

Truckers Flashed

I would perceive it more as an aggressive action and road rage in some cases, but that's just me. No offense, but the way you phrased it in the question as "get the hell out of my way", that sounds more like aggression or road rage than it does a request in my opinion. Plus, when most people see someone behind them flashing their lights at them, this might make them mad and make them want to "get back at you" by going even slower. A lot of people are like that, unfortunately. I would say just keep a safe distance behind them, and if they don't notice you behind them and move over when the right lane is clear after about a mile or so, just wait for a safe opportunity to go around them on the right. This way you avoid having your flashing lights perceived by them as aggression, and avoid having them do something stupid like going even slower just to irritate you. If this is happening as often as you are making it sound though, you might be driving significantly faster than the flow of traffic. If you are, this situation is bound to happen quite often. Just a thought.

They do this to let you know that you have passed them safley and can pull into the lane they are in safley.By the way you should stay in the right lane except to pass most states have this law!

Possibly, it may be because your headlights are on high-beam or appear to be on high beam (mis-aimed headlights). The trucker is letting you know that you have your high beams on and blinded him in his mirrors. Have your headlight aiming checked.

It could be that they feel slighted and insulted and their egos bruised that you had the gall to pass their big vehicles and that's their way of trying to express their displeasure about you passing them.

• Gardener Joe3 months agoReport

You mean this as a joke.  I hope.