playstation 2 games on PS3?

I am going to go buy Parrapa the Rapper tomorrow for PS2 because I used to love the first one and never got the chance to play the second one. I don't have my playstation 1 or 2 at the moment and I was wondering if I'd be able to play it on my PS3.. I miss the game a lot and would love to try the second one :D

Thank you

I got the ps3 last christmas or the christmas before that. I don't remember I'm not exactly sure.

• Jenova
    Best Answer

people seriously need to learn what the search bar is for.

I take it I'm going to be answering this question forever too:

backward compatibility for the PS3 with PS2 games is as follows:

20GB (4 USB slots, no longer in production) - yes

60GB (4 USB slots, no longer in production) - yes

80GB with 4 USB slots (no longer in production, bundled with MGS4 or Motor Storm) - yes

40GB (2 USB slots, no longer in production) - NO

80GB with 2 USB slots - NO

160GB (2 USB slots) - NO

any other up coming PS3's - NO

in short: if it has 4 USB slots, yes. if it has 2 USB slots, no.

all PS3s play PS1 games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Models

the download that others may refer to is for backwards compatible PS3s ONLY!!!!!!!!!!! a download will NOT make a non-backwards compatible PS3 play PS2 games. PERIOD!

"If a PLAYSTATION 3 is not backward compatible, you will not be able to add this function through any hardware (i.e., changing the hard disk drive) or software (i.e., updates, homebrew) upgrades or modifications. "

that came DIRECTLY from Sony's own website: http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstatio...

there is a RUMOR going around that Sony may be able to make a patch that will allow all non-backwards compatible PS3s play PS2 games. it is just a RUMOR right now, but it may happen. they say that no software update would make PS2 games play in a PS3. but they also said it wasn't possible to have Dual Shock in the Six Axis controller. and that controller has been available for a while now...

if you do own/buy a PS3 that is backwards compatible, not all games may work. to see if there are any compatibility issues with your console and a PS2 (or PS1) game, check this site: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleSt...

if you are purchasing a brand new, never out of the box PS3, READ THE BOX. it will say in plain, clear English whether it will support PS2 software or not.

35 PS2 games, there are still a handfull of PS2 games i plan to buy. As for PS3, there arn't any PS3 games out right now that i care for, but once the good games start coming out i will buy a PS3. i'm guessing in the next 10 years i'll probably have like 30 or 40 PS3 games.

• higgo

Ok well it depends on

a)which model u have as some like the original release models have 100% backwards compatibility, some others have a high rate like 80%+ and some like the very new ones or past yr or so dont have it at all

b)how long ur willing to wait if it doesnt have b/c as sony patent for the technology to make it b/c and they got it aproved and all and have the technology ready they just got to implement it in a firmware update

only if you bought the original ps3 when it first came out the 60 gb now discontinued.cost too much to make so new ones no longer play ps2

If you have another PS2 game handy, stick it in there and you'll have your answer. If it won't play them, it will say Unsupported Data and will tell you the console doesn't support PS2 games when you click on it anyway.

If it plays them, the game will run like on a normal PS2.

FIRST OF ALL WHEN DID U BUY UR PS3 AFTER 2007 WHICH DATE EXACT I NEED IF IT IS AFTER 2007 U WONT BE ABLE TO PLAY IT ON UR PS3 IT IS AFTER 2007 U BOUGHT THE PS3 AND I HEARD THERE WAS A SOFTWARE UPDATE COMING WHICH WILL ALLOW NEW USERS WHO CANT PLAY PS2 GAMES ON A PS3 TO BE ABLE BUT IDK WHEN BUT SONY CONFIRMED IT SO U CAN BUY IT AND WAIT UNTIL THE SOFTWARE UPDATE COMES OR U CAN BUY IT NOW THEN WAIT FOR THE SOFT WARE UPDATE

NEED MORE INFO EMAIL ME AND GIVE ME THE LINK PLZ SO I CAN EDIT

EDT SORRY NO IT WAS STOPPED BEING MADE IN SEPTEMBER 2007 SO EVEN IF U GOT IT DECEMBER 2007 EVEN THOUGH I THINK U GOT IT IN 2008 IT FROM UR DETAIL

Source(s): SSS

How many gigs is it?

I've got an 80, got it in November 07, and it plays most PS2 games. I haven't had any problems with it.

it depends which ps3 you have, the older ps3's can play ps2 games, but the newer ones dont seem to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_3#Models

Depends on which specific PS3 you bought. The old 20, 60, or 80GB ones will work fine. If you bought it recently (40GB, new 80GB, or 160GB), then it won't have PS2 compatibility. Just check the box or manual if you don't know.

yeah, just google "list of compatible ps2 games for ps3" and it should be under there.