What are some tips for shopping for/building a computer?

I'm working on building my first computer, and I'm curious what the veterans of this area can recommend for me. I know www.newegg.com is the generally accepted site, but I've seen some good deals at www.geeks.com and maybe there are other sites out there? I'm really tight on cash, and I'm not looking to mod out this computer, just use it for high end gaming. Any tips on how to check for compatibility of parts would be great, also how to find good deals, and avoid high-cost parts that are built mainly for modding?

I know what are good parts usually, but any advice I could get would be greatly appreciated.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Try to stick to one site to avoid spending a lot on shipping. Go to newegg and make sure every item you get is either a combo item or has free shipping. I saved 80 dollars by using combos for every piece of my latest rig. Sink most of your money into a video card, I would go EVGA if you are getting an NVIDIA card. They have a step up program so that if something new comes out within 90 days of your purchase you can upgrade by paying the difference between how much you paid versus the new card. Adds a lot of life to your computer for only 30ish dollars. You can go cheap on the case as long as it gets good airflow. AMD Phenom 2s are the best for the money atm, Intels are more powerful but the platform will cost you a lot more. Don't go cheap on a power supply, and make sure you get ram from a decent brand (Corsair, OCZ, GSkill). Get a nice after market heatsink too, this can greatly increase your performance through overclocking.

Have fun, I love building budget computers.

Here's an example, remember you can save a lot of money by re-using old pars (HDD, CD-DVD drive just depends what is compatible.)

LITE-ON 24X CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS324-08 -

Item #: N82E16827106291

Thermaltake Strike Mx VI6001BNS Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Item #: N82E16811133069

Western Digital Caviar Green WD6400AACS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

MSI 770-C45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard -

Item #: N82E16813130228

EVGA 896-P3-1258-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SSC Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported

Item #: N82E16814130441

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX -

Scythe SCKTN-3000 92mm Sleeve "KATANA3" 3Heat Pipes CPU Cooler

Copied from newegg it was 705.00 without shipping. All of these parts can be scaled down by the way. Just make sure you get a good video card!

Source(s): hobby
  • 1 decade ago

Check out slickdeals.net from time to time - they show what current techie deals are out there everyday (they also have other kinds of deals too). This will only work if you are not in a hurry to get it done, since you have to be patient and keep an eye on what is offered on there.

Source(s): My boyfriend built his computer for really cheap by watching this site and waiting for deals.
  • 1 decade ago

you should check out Alienware. Its a side company with Dell. Through them, you can customize your pc and they will do the actual building/matching of parts. Based on what specs you want, you can control the price and still get a quality computer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.