True
True asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Should I inform my employer?

I'm 19 weeks pregnant and I work at a Marshalls Department Store. I was hard tagging some purses when I noticed that there was an extra tag on them. I read the tag and it said "WARNING This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm".

I didn't say anything at the time I just stopped working on the purses with those tags and did the ones that didn't have them.

I don't know if I should bring it up to my boss or not, what would you do?

I know I should have said something the moment I noticed the purses contained something potentially harmful but my boss was already in a bad mood and I didn't feel like aggravating her further.

boss already knows that i am pregnant

Best Answer

if you are not working with those bags anymore then there probably is no need to tell your boss but if something like that does come up again and you do not feel comfortable then you should definitely let your boss know. The health of your baby is more important than anything.

But honestly, I think if you wear gloves while you are tagging these merchandise, that should provide you a good amount of protection from whatever chemical is in or on the purse. I'm a chemist and when I was pregnant, I had to work in a chemistry lab for 9 months and trust me I worked with all sorts of raw chemicals. Anyway, I just use the proper protection and my baby seems healthy and happy right now with now known problem.

So if you don't want to make a big deal and you really need the job then just use some gloves when you have to tag hazardous merchandises. But of course, if you don't feel comfortable working with them at all then by all means don't do it. You need to do what's best and most comfortable for you.

• AMF

Yes if there are still purses that have those tags on them you should let him be aware of it so he doesn't make you work with any of the purses until after you have your baby. On a side note who the hell would buy a purse that says that?

First off you need to let her know that your pregnant, because sooner or later you are going to need to take some time off. And yes, you should not be working around harmful chemicals.

----Side Note: OMG!! Who would make a purse with harmful chemicals that can cause birth defects!!! ---------

I'd let her know right away!

• Josie

That's weird I've didn't know some purses had those warnings.

You could tell your boss but he/she probably won't do anything except tell you not to work with those bags.

Source(s): 37 weeks pregnant