Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Evolutionists only:Could humans be more closely related to orangutans?

Than chimps of course. I've wondered it for a while, and while I don't know much about chimps, whether bonobo or common chimp, I do know for the most part that orangutans act a lot like humans, and do things such as:

Use tools for fishing/termiting(as I like to call it)

perform oral sex(no joke)

recognize themselves in photographs

Not to mention they look more like people than chimps, and genetically they're pretty much just as close, maybe closer.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-06/uop...

Actually, some scientists are actually starting to second guess it, and I know some scientists do this foolishly quite a bit, for example there is an "out of Europe" hypothesis, but this one could have some merit.

Because atheism is a religion according to this site for one, two I know the people here.

shaved that made me lol

Uh..super atheist, I think you're kind of missing the point here. I'm not an idiot, I know about evolution, I'm just asking about a different theory that isn't quite as mainstream as the cimp one because it's less than a month old.

Evil Nerd:

I'm not saying chimps aren't the closest relatives to humans, by no means. But like I said, this study is less than a month old, so no books have really been made on the subject.

We're actually considered by some scientists as the "third species of chimp"... so no.

EDIT: The evidence is in the DNA, however you can see quite a few similarities with behavior and intelligence studies.

Google the documentary Ape Genius or pick up a copy of the book The Great Apes Project by Peter Singer- both are very revealing, and in the documentary you can actually see a chimp outperforming humans in some mental tasks.

I really doubt that, because the suspicion that humans may be more closely related to orangutans is based more on behavioral and morphological evidence than genetic or geographic evidence.

• Janian

Atheism is NOT a religion, just the none belief in gods.

and what is an evolutionist?

I accept evolution, like you accept gravity - does that make you a gravitivist?

Ginger people are more closely related to orangutans.

I guess "genetically" would be all that matters?

Why are you asking this in religion? Why not in....I dunno....Anthropology?