Does anyone know if David Letterman was aware of the character of Borat when he had Cohen on in 2006?

I just recently watched the clip of Borat's October 30th (2006) appearance on the Tonight's Show and frankly it appears that Letterman is a bit annoyed and unsure how to deal with some of it. I've searched but can find no official word - does anyone have a clue if he was in on the joke or if he was like most of America in not knowing who Cohen was? I actually remembered his Ali G skits so I had a clue haha. I'm inclined to believe he didn't know because Sacha made one of his very few out-of-character (one of multiple) appearances on Letterman years later - perhaps to make amends?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jENuS9nc9p4

Youtube thumbnail

Favorite Answer

That was a great interview - and when searching on Youtube for 'Borat', the original and shorter clip from that interview use to be the 1st or 2nd result (now it's around 3rd) with over 9 million views.

David Letterman definitely knew Borat is a fictional character. Cohen doesn't stay in character before and after interviews like this, and in fact I think he actually was on Letterman before this interview, as himself promoting the Ali G show when it was on HBO.

You're right that Letterman DOES seem a little uneasy in parts of the interview, and that's probably because some of Borat's comments are pretty racy for U.S. television - even late night TV. (ie. saying his wife's "vagine hang loose like sleeve of wizard" and while the audience laughs Borat does something with the cuff of his sleeve).

I've seen other interviews where they've interrupted Borat in mid sentence because they know what's coming - ie. Borat is answering a question in his standard way, and the host or crew has heard it before and know something rude is coming up (ie. the 3rd most famous person in kazakhstan and what her talent is).

So having Cohen on your show in-character, whether Borat or Bruno, is a bit of a minefield because you maybe not necessarily know how he's going to answer a question or what he's going to do.

That's my 2 cents and hope it answers your question. ;-)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I just recently watched the clip of Borat's October 30th (2006) appearance on the Tonight's Show and frankly it appears that Letterman is a bit annoyed and unsure how to deal with some of it. I've searched but can find no official word - does anyone have a clue if he was in on the joke...

Source(s): david letterman aware character borat cohen 2006: https://shortly.im/Aavrs

Borat Interview