Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

Can 16 year-olds ride restricted 125cc motorbikes ?

Hello there, it's my 16th in october and im currently trying to figure out what i would need to do in order to pass my test, as well as finding a fine bike that i could legally ride. My understanding so far is that at 16 50cc motorcycles are as far as you can go, then 125cc at 17. Can anyone tell me whether i could ride a restricted 125cc bike at 16 and then unrestrict it at 17? It would save the hassle of obtaining a 50cc then selling it for a 125cc in order to take the standard test. I live in England btw and would also like to know what processes i would have to go through leading up to my official test at whatever age, if that's possible. Thanks everyone (Y).

Favorite Answer

At 16:

A 50cc bike or scooter, restricted to 31mph

L-Plates

No Passengers

At 17:

A 125cc bike/scooter, restricted to 14bhp

L-Plates

No Passengers

At the age of 17, you can take your full license on a 125cc bike or scooter. This will enable you to ride a 33bhp restricted bike of any engine size. After 2 years this restriction is lifted and you can ride ANY sized or powered bike you want.

To ride a 50cc:

Provisional License

Compulsary Basic Training (CBT)

L-Plates

To ride a 125cc:

Provisonal License

Be 17 Years Of Age

CBT (Unless you took it when you were 16)

L-Plates

To obtain your full license:

CBT

Theory Test

Restricted Bike Test

Hope this helps, Good luck

--Mikey B--

I must have read that wrong. No, I guess I didn't. You could install restrictions on a 125cc bike to limit it's top speed, but the bike would remain a 125cc. You may also be able to buy a cylinder kit to reduce the displacement to 50cc, but you would get some weird looks from the parts guys when you told them what you are trying to do, and it would cost a lot of money. I think, your best bet is to get a small scooter/moped, remove the restrictions, and use it a few years and then move up to a larger bike. Ride Safe

No

You have to pass the basic test in order to ride a 125 and be 17. If you pass on a 125 including theory then you can ride a restricted bike of any size. After you have been riding for 2 years you can ride any bike without restriction. If you sit the exam for a full bike and pass then you can ride any bike right from the start

No

You have to pass a test in order to ride a 125 without L plates no matter what your age. you can ride a bike with L plates after you had passed the basic test at 17. Once you've passed your test and theory on a 125 you can ride any size bike if it's restricted. After 2 years you can ride any bike without restriction. If you sit the test for larger bikes then you can ride any bike when passed.

u can ride a 50cc on l plates when ur 16 and a 125cc on L plates when ur 17 u need to do a cbt first tho

• Ben

NO to ride a 125cc you need to be 17 whether its restricted or not.

The maximum you can drive at 16 is 50cc.

Source(s): Daniel D You are wrong you do not need to take a test to ride a 125cc you can ride one with L plates after taking a cbt as long as you are 17.
  • Lily H

you have to do your theory test then the CBT before you can ride a 50cc. the CBT will last for one year, then before you go to a bigger bike (at 17 a 125cc) you will need to do your bike test for a 125 only,or another CBT. not sure how long the theory test pass lasts for - I know a CBT pass is valid for one year. hope this helps - if you need more advice ring your local bike training school, they are really helpfull and the CBT day is good fun as well as really important to help keep you safe on the road.

Hi can you please sign this petition, it's to allow 16 year olds ride 125cc motorbikes.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/124154

Check out the link below....tells you everything you need to know!

All States differ in what is allowed and not allowed. Call your local DMV or look them up on Internet to find out what is allowed for your age in your State.