Do I have polyps in my throat?

Here is my situation. I started developing a bad cough three days ago, and I was so sure that I was suffering from post-nasal drip. In any case, I drank anti-allergy medicine so that I could be rid of the cough, but just this morning I coughed so badly and so much that I was spitting out phlegm (good thing) stained with blood (bad thing). As I continued to cough out my phlegm, I noticed eventually that I was spitting out these little circular things that looked less like mucus, and I was beginning to wonder what they were.

Was I spitting out nasal polyps? Can anyone help me look into the situation further?

If I do have polyps in my throat, is it enough that I am just taking anti-allergy medicine since I am spitting them out anyway, not being mindful of the blood or anything?

Best Answer

Vocal cord polyps are often the result of an acute injury (such as from shouting at a football game) and typically occur on only one vocal cord. Vocal cord nodules occur on both vocal cords and result mainly from abuse of the voice (habitual yelling, singing, or shouting or using an unnaturally low frequency).

Symptoms include chronic hoarseness and a breathy voice, which tend to develop over days to weeks. A doctor makes the diagnosis by examining the vocal cords with a thin, flexible viewing tube. Sometimes the doctor removes a small piece of tissue for examination under a microscope (biopsy) to make sure the growth is not cancerous (malignant).

Treatment is to avoid whatever is irritating the larynx and rest the voice. If abuse of the voice is the cause, voice therapy conducted by a speech therapist may be needed to teach the person how to speak or sing without straining the vocal cords. Most nodules go away with this treatment, but most polyps must be surgically removed to restore the person's normal voice.

You might wanna see an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor to address your concerns.. I have personally never heard of nasal polyps coming out while coughing..

1

• Kate

oh gosh, i hope it's not cancer. odds are you will not be able to afford the extensive treatments associated with removal/treatment and aftercare. that being said, i don't know how much a polyp surgery could run you. It would depend on where the polyp is and if they can reach it through the cats mouth of if they need to make an incision in the throat. (That's called ventral bulla osteotomy.) to find out you would need an X-ray or a CT scan. they may choose to do a biopsy of the tissue to determine if it's not cancerous. of course all of this costs more than a little bit of money. Nasopharyngeal polyps are uncommon in cats and it's even more uncommon when it happens in older cats. Polyps are considered tumors that block the Eustachian tube at the back of the throat and produce middle ear infections. (the Eustachian tube is a passage that connects the middle ear to the back of the throat.) Polyps have a variety of symptoms depending on where it develops. She could show displays of sneezing, nasal discharge, difficulty breathing, gagging and maybe voice change if it has developed in the middle ear. if drainage from the middle ear is blocked, the polyp grows up into the ear instead of in the throat. this could cause ear infections, she could be shaking her head a lot, and if it's large enough affect the shape of her pupils. They often interfere with swallowing in either case. Nasophayngeal polyps can be removed by your vet by literally pulling on the mass until it comes out. the cat will have to be under anesthesia. ($$) sounds easy but in half of cases they don't get the whole thing out and the mass will regrow. because of this, the vet will usually refer you to a veterinary surgeon to make sure it's done right and to make sure they get it all. and as we all know, surgeons cost more than do regular doctors. If they get in there surgically, recurrence of the polyp is unusual. if it was in the ear, the cat may have some balance problems afterwards and may need extra encouragement with eating. another thing is that MOST cats will develop something called "horners syndrome" after the polyp is removed. this is when her pupils will be different sizes, her third eyelid will protrude, she'll be kind of squinty, and her eye will be a little sunken. it's caused by trauma in the middle ear, it does not affect her behavior, and it's usually temporary. most cats fully recover in about a month.

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aDJ7S

The most common signs of Alzheimers / dementia are:

- Poor judgment and decision making

- Inability to manage a budget

- Missing a monthly payment

- Losing track of the date or the season

- Forgetting which day it is and remembering later

- Difficulty having a conversation

- Sometimes forgetting which word to use

- Misplacing things and being unable to retrace steps to find them

If you notice any of these signs in yourself or someone you know, don't ignore them. Schedule an appointment with your doctor, with early detection, you can get the maximum benefit from available treatments.Also visit this site I found about memory loss problems. It's eye opening: http://memoryloss.toptips.org