Derrick Mason announces retirement from nfl. Is he a hall of famer?

Best Answer

Do you know how long it took Art Monk to make it to the Hall of Fame? Somebody who was the All Time reception leader at some point.

Cris Carter is not even a HOFer despite he is a top 5 in the most important receiving categories: receptions, yards and TD.

Derrick Mason doesn't have a chance.

Despite Derrick Mason's great numbers, I must say he will miss the hall of fame if he is indeed retiring now.

He only has 790 catches, 10,061 yards and 79 touchdowns. Those stats are great, but they aren't enough to get him in. Is he underrated? Yes. I think he deserved a lot more respect in the league than he was given. But the issue I see with his stats are that he doesn't quite have the yardage or the touchdowns to get in the hall of fame. Someone like Randy Moss who is of course slightly younger than Mason actually has 3,000+ more yardage. Now assuming that Moss is not going to retire anytime soon, if Moss keeps playing as well as he has, then his stats can get him in. The point I am making is, Mason is in the same spot that Tiki Barber was when he retired. They both had great numbers, but unfortunately at the time of their retirement they didn't get enough yardage to be considered. Stopping at 10,000 yards as a receiver isn't enough. If you get 15,000 you can be considered great.

As much as I wanna say yes, he is to underrated. Thats the thing, overrated players make the HOF while dozens of underrated players don't make it! That is what really bums me. Troy Aikman never was good, he had the stats of Steve McNair, but made HOF. Steve McNair will not make it.

No, he is a good reciver and the most underrated in the NFL. And because he is so underrated he wont get in.

underrated damn i had him in my fantasy team

he is a goood WR he played great last year battleing injuries

but no hall of fame for him best WR for the ravens

A "OK' player is never hall of fame material.....

No. When a player is a HOF player, you know it. if you have to ask the answer is probably no

considering the competition to get in, im going to have to put a hell in front of no

Derrick who? I guess that's a NO.

In a word, no.