Author from Nineteeh Century ?

Ok, for school we have to write an essay about an author from the 19th century. We don't necarsially have to write about them, but somehting that happened in their life that maybe affected their writing skills. But instead of writing how it affeccted them, we just write the history about it. For example if there was an author from the 19th century that lived through the world war 2, we make an essay on world war 2. Now, I'm just missing one thing; an author. I don't want a common author like Mark Twain or Emily Dickinson. I want an unique author who actually had something big occur in their life. not like a death but the great depression or a war or something. PLEASE HElp. thanks so much

• ck1
    Favorite Answer

There is Frances Hodgson Burnett (The Secret Garden), who wrote in both the 19th and 20th centuries. She was born in England, but their business was hurt by the American Civil War. In 1864 they moved to America, so the war wasn't over yet. Frances Hodgson Burnett lived until 1924, so she lived through World War I, as well as the Civil War. Naturally, like WWII and the Great Depression, WWI was in the 20th not the 19th century. This http://www.tickledorange.com/FHB/Biography.html gives a short biography and there are several books which were written about her.

Louisa May Alcott (Little Women) not only lived through the American Civil War but also became a nurse in Washington, D.C. during the war. Her father had to go and bring her home when she became so ill due to mercury poisoning. This http://www.louisamayalcott.org/louisamaytext.html has a short biography, but there are several good books written about her.

I suppose Jane Austen would be considered a "common" author, but she lived during the Napoleonic Wars and her cousin, Eliza, Comtesse of Feuillide, was married to a man who was guillotined during the Reign of Terror in France.

The poet, Lord Byron, went to Greece to fight in the Greek War of Independence in the 19th century. I haven't read through all of it, but this site http://www.ahistoryofgreece.com/revolution.htm has information about that revolution.

I'm sure there are any number of others you could use, but hopefully these will help.

Some of my favorite stories came from the pen of Joel Chandler Harris (1848 - 1902), writing as Uncle Remus. These black folk tales were alive with some of my most beloved characters, such as Br'er Rabbit and Tar Baby.

He went to work for a newspaper when he was only 14 and later published his stories in the Atlanta Constitution.

He lived during the Civil War but the controversy most often linked to Uncle Remus came later from the resentment of many African-American writers who accused Harris, a white man, of stealing their heritage. Could make an interesting slant for your assignment, I think.

(Personally, I'd rather read about a 19th century author who lived through WWII, but that may never be.)

~

A couple of suggestions:

Anna Maria Hall (an Irish, children's author)

Robert Michael Ballantyne