How is the best way to inform my employer about my pregnancy?

I temporary Administrative Assistant / Secretary who have worked for the same client for almost a year ( since 08/08). I really like my job but I'm concern about the fact that I'm pregnant and i don't have a "permanent" position with the company. The company is going to a difficult time and had a series of layoff back in December. So far there is no additional layoffs in the horizon but I'm still worried.

Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

My company went through the same thing a few months back (layoffs and such) and I was nervous as well. But there are laws that protect pregnant women from being discriminated against. I just had a private meeting with my immediate superior and told her the news. I let her know that I plan on working all the way up until my due date (because I kinda have to, I don't have short term disability so all of my leave will be unpaid) and then I will be back to work 6 weeks after the birth of my daughter. I was honest about certain changes I expect to take place...for example, my schedule might need rearranged after the baby comes. I didn't want to press that on her at the last minute and I figured my chances of getting what I want are greater the sooner I inform her of my wishes.

Source(s): ~25 weeks pregnant with baby #1~

You still need to tell them no matter what. Your employer should understand. I suggest you wait until your first trimester is over and then inform your immediate superior. My employer was very understandable when I filled them in about my pregnancy and are helping me out heaps, despite the financial crisis we're all in at the moment. good luck!

Source(s): currently 3 months pregnant
  • KAK

I personally didn't tell my employer until I was 5 months pregnant with our 1st child. It was none of their business. I worked until 2 wks. until delivery.

If you tell your employer you're pregnant, be prepared to be laid off.

• Lala

wait till your 2nd trimester hits and just be very upfront and let your boss know how you feel...be honest!

• kimmy

tell your boss that you love your job and hope that you can keep it. then tell him or her your expecting.