Psychology or astronomy??!?

I always go back to psychology after I go through a phase of other interests (creative writing/English too). I was going to major in political science, changed that back to psych, and now I really want to major in astronomy. Have always been ridiculously interested in astronomy and could read about it all day, but chemistry/science was definitely not my strength in highschool. I don't know, but I don't think I would ever get bored with researching in that field, but the calculus and chem does not appeal. Maybe just interested in the ideas of space? Which should I stick with? Is it possible to do both? Or have a career at an observatory/etc without an astronomy degree?

• eri
    Favorite Answer

There really aren't many jobs you can get in astronomy if you don't have a PhD in astronomy, astrophysics, or physics. With a bachelors, you can usually teach high school (with teaching certification) or maybe work as a data analyst or telescope operator at an observatory (trust me, that gets old really fast). With a masters, you can teach community college. You need a PhD to do any research. That's 8-12 years of college, and you need to major in physics. An astronomy major alone actually doesn't really prepare you for grad school in astronomy - you need the physics major.

Psychology also requires at least a masters to practice and usually a PhD or PsyD.

This isn't what you're gonna wanna here, but that's life...

If you don't like chemistry or math - by all means stay away from a major that will require a lot of it. I was always fascinated by science and engineering, so I thought I would like chemistry. Well I'm taking it now, and it's the hardest class I've ever taken! (And it's just the intro level). It's soooo much math and equations.

Also psychology is a good major.

• NAK

hahaha if you take astrophysics, you will literally cry, I guarantee you this... people that complain about orgo have just never taken astrophysics... it's HARD, and I LIKE physics... unless you can do calc 4 and advanced physics in your sleep, don't even think about astronomy...

if you are interested in the idea of space, I suggest 2 things: philosophy degree and drugs...

Astronomy is better.