Heavy Period every month?

I'm 29 years old and I started my period when I was 9 years old. I have always had heavy periods. The first 2 or 3 days I soak (completely) an over night pad every 4 hours. Then it gets lighter as the week goes on. Heavy periods don't run the family. No one has had endometriosis at all in my family. I also had an abortion in 2003.

Question:

What could cause a period to be that heavy?

Could the abortion contribute to the heavy periods?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

BCP has never worked for me in the past. thanks for the suggestions.

Yes I am on the Heavier Side I am 5ft 3in and 200 lbs. I am semi active, i hate sitting around the house.

Favorite Answer

I've always had abnormally heavy periods, too. Sometimes they are caused by a hormonal imbalance, sometimes by some other physical problem.

Birth control has never worked for me, either, although mostly because it makes my periods (bad as they already are) about ten times worse.

An abortion, just like having a baby, can wreak havoc on your cycle, but since you've always had heavy periods, that doesn't sound like it has anything to do with it. If you have kids someday, that may change it...but, it may not. It may make them worse.

Sorry. Just our load, I guess. Balances out all the lucky girls who barely notice when they have their period.

Sometimes heavy menstrual periods can be caused due to your hormones being out of whack. Often a gynecologist will put you on a low does birth control such as YAZ which helps lessen the flow. My daughter was missing alot of school because of the same problem and this BCP was prescribed for her and it has worked wonders.

If you are on the heavier side, heavier women are more likely to have a heavier flow.

I am concerned about your health though. Are you anemic from losing so much blood each month? If you tend to bruise easy, get fatigued faster than most people, get light headed... I would suggest taking a multivitamin with B12 and an Iron supplement to keep up the Red blood cell count.

Source(s): Nurse

i dont think it has to do with how heavy periods are in your family as i had a heavy period and my mother didint. try birth control unless you are tryin to have a baby it will lightne your period. as far as the abortion i dont think it can ive known several people who have had abortions and their periods havent chnaged and if you say you have one in 2003 and your period has always been heavy than i dont think it contributed.