What are some energy efficient tips on making your house cooler?

My apartment is hot as HECK! But I also do not have the funds to have a million fans running. Any tips on how I can make my house cooler WITHOUT running up the electric bill?
Update: I'm sorry, and I mean this in the most respectful way ever, but if you have some smart-@$$ answer, don't even bother.
Update 2: 1. The windows are ot even windows. When you open them there is another glass window behind it...makes no sense. But we were thinking of replacing the glass with screens, so that should help a lot. 2. There is not a ceiling fan. 3. It is not an apartment, more like a half of a house, about a bit bigger than a... show more 1. The windows are ot even windows. When you open them there is another glass window behind it...makes no sense. But we were thinking of replacing the glass with screens, so that should help a lot.
2. There is not a ceiling fan.
3. It is not an apartment, more like a half of a house, about a bit bigger than a studio apartment.