parents, do your children use a lap belt in the car?

i am looking to buy a new car people carrier but have just noticed that most of them have lap belts in the middle seat, so the only option i have is to put the eldest who is only 3 3/4 in the middle seat with her high back booster and the lap belt, but it really doesn't seem safe at all, does anybody else use a lap belt or does anybody know of anything i could buy to make it safer for her to travel in the car.

thanks

Mel - how much did it cost to have one fitted is that a few hundred pounds or dollars?

Favorite Answer

Lap belts are not safe at all,in an accident they can cause severe damage to the pelvis and lower back,modern people carriers usually have shoulder belts but ours was an older model and had a lap belt which was useless and we had a shoulder belt fitted.

Its worth looking around and spender a little more on a newer model for the extra safety if you can,having one fitted costs us a few hundred but it was worth it.

First of all all car seats state that lap belts can not be used safely with car seats and secondly all new people carriers have 3 point seat belts - unless new to you is actually a second hand car by a good few years.

Don't take the risk. Lap belts are better than nothing but to be honest, if you are involved in an accident, lap belts can actually cause serious injury.

I was watching a programme (think it was Real Rescues) and a girl was in the middle seat using a lap belt and had her back broken. The Paramedic said that the lap belt saved her life but also caused her life to be ruined. She was paralysed from the waist down and it was because of the lap belt. When the car stopped suddenly, her upper body travelled forward but the force of being kept in place by the belt put pressure on her back and broke it.

I would carry on looking around and get a people carrier with full 3 point seat belts on all seats. It's not worth the risk on your child.

KD

Lap belts alone are not safe at all. You would need to call the manufacturer and they would send you to a local dealer that would install a lap/shoulder belt for free, they are required to do this.

Please don't take this risk I have seen what can happen. I used to be a live in nanny to a 2 yr old girl who was paralyzed after her dad got into a car accident and she was in one of those old style boosters where there is a shield and the lap belt comes over that. There was nothing holding her upper body back and she went forward so forcefully that she broke her neck. This is why car companies are required to update the seat belts whenever needed.

If for any reason a shoulder belt cannot be installed in that car then keep looking for one that has it.

• Ciara

I don't have kids but I wouldn't dream of putting any child under 6 in a car with just a lap belt. They are just too unsafe. Maybe get a 6 seater (2, 2, 2) such as the Toyota Picnic.... There are no middle seats and all seats have the 3 point belt.

Hi, Im presuming you are in the UK. The like of Renault Megane Scenic and Vauxhall Zafira dont have a proper seat in the middle, and therefore dont usually have a 3 point seat belt. I am in the same position, I have another baby due in November (my third) and I didnt want my eldest squashed into the middle with a lap belt. We actually bought a 6 year old VW Sharan as it has three separate seats across the middle, with 3 x 3 point seat belts. Best UK people carriers to buy are VW Sharan, Ford Galaxy, Seat Alhambra.

No, because my car (not a people carrier or particularly new) has 3 real belts across the back seat. I find it bizarre that new cars which are larger than mine don't have this feature. Are you sure?

My last car (around a decade ago) had a lap belt in the middle. We actually put our younger child there rather than the older one, because the seat itself was designed to be safe if used with a lap belt and the child had its own 5 point harness built into the child seat.

I would not consider it safe to put a preschooler in a central seat with only a lap belt.

No new cars have lap belts in the middle back seat and more. They were replaced by 3 point seat belts (by law) at least 4 years ago.

I have a 7 seater ( 3 kids) and the car is only fitted with shoulder belts.

I would never use a lap belt for anyone they aren't really that safe.

If you have the shoulder belt you are more secure

Lap belts have been resposible for more back and neck injuries in car accidents cause they don't restrain the top half of the body securely enough

I'd buy a new car TBH, as expensive as cars are to buy you can't put a price on safety

Well a regular car seat can be installed with just a lap belt but booster seats have to be installed with a shoulder belt

• tools

Lap belts often are risky, yet no longer as risky as no seat belt in any respect. Motorhomes are not precisely quickly autos, and that they do no longer decelerate that quickly the two, and in need of changing the belt with a three-element version there's no longer very lots you're able to do.