A Z asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

You think it's time to quit?

Here's my story:

Got on the OHL priority selection: didn't get drafted.

Played AAA for 6 years.

Played Junior A tier 2, 1 year at 16 years old, only played 5 games because they had 3 goalies, should have stayed home and played the team I made for AAA. Too young to be away from home, 11th grade, my grades slipped down.

Second year, Junior A tier 2, 3 goalies again, didn't play in the beginning of the season, the 2 goalies that played ended up getting traded because they didn't do good, so here's my chance to play, but then in practice get injured, so out for the season.

This year, injured healed 100%, went to tryouts for Junior A tier 2, made it to one all star game tryout, then I didn't make it to the main camp, because I told him it looked good for me to be on last years team, but not 100%.

My assistant coach from last year called me twice during the summer to see if I had any questions about the main camp and I said no but I am ready to go, I am healed 100%. I go to the tryout and get a shutout my first scrimmage in the tryout and I get cut the first cut. I don't know why? My GPA is only a 2.0 and the ACT is only an 18, so do you think my grades could be part of it.

I went to a Tier 1 Junior A tryout and the coach said I missed the cut by one, they took 12 out of 30 the first cut and he said he was looking at me very closing, but I missed it by 1, he said.

So I have been playing since I was 7 years old (goalie) so I think it might be time for me to quit.

I am going to play for a tier 3 junior a team right by my house, so that should be a good time. The team seems really happy to have me and I think it should be good way to end my hockey. Hopefully I will finally get to play some games before I call it quits.

I think I made some wrong decisions. When I was 16 I should have stayed home and played AAA, then my second year in Junior A and AAA team called me and said I noticed you haven't been playing many games, so do you want to play for us, which I should have, but I thought I could play Junior A , but then I got hurt.

I will have some good memories. When I was suppose to play for a AAA, instead went to Junior A, I made the AAA team out of 70 applications. Then next year, another AAA team called me to play but I thought I could play Junior A.

So look how bad decision probably ended my hockey sooner than expected. I have a little hope that I can have a good season at tier 3 and maybe make it to tier 2 or tier 1 by last year for juniors, but do you think my grades are also the probably.

Hey, thanks for ready my story.

It would be interesting to see other players stories

Thanks everybody for sharing your stories.

I have two more years of Juniors, so I am excited to play Juniors Tier 3 and just do by best and have fun.

I will always play hockey! but not as a goal setting career if nothing happens after 2 years.

• thelau
    Best Answer

I've been golfing recreationally and competitively for for the past 11 years and I have a 33 handicap (that's bad). Am I going to make the PGA tour? No. Am I going to make it to the Olympic team in 2016 (if the IOC decides to implement it in the Games)? Mmmm...7 years is a long time, so that's a big maybe. Am I going to give it my all every time I'm on the course? You can bet your life savings I will. The point is, keep trying and don't give up. Unless you're a smoker, nobody likes a quitter. If you're determined enough, you'll get to where you want to be. If you don't, at least you'll be able to say that you've put everything on the line to do so and went down swinging.

32 now!

• After reading your questions for about a year now, you worry far too much.

Are you ever going to play in the NHL? No.

Should you give up hockey? Of course not.

The number of professional positions at goaltender is limited - in all leagues.

If you look at the goaltenders in the AHL and NHL, almost all of them were playing Major Junior in Canada at age 16, at a private high school, or in the USHL. Very few of them (if any) were playing below that level (such as Tier 2 Junior A, Junior B, AAA, etc). It's a very competitive position and there are far more good goaltenders than there are available positions.

What should you do? As you mentioned in your other question - you do have the option of sending your 'hockey' resume to teams in the lower minor leagues (including the ECHL) and see if you can get a tryout. Some of these teams do have a hard time finding goaltenders (a lot of goaltenders who are members of the NHLPA refuse to play in the lower leagues) and there may be a fit for someone like you. In a city like Toronto, there are goalies for hire for beer leagues (the goaltender gets paid to play - the others don't).

There are lots of options..

Source(s): Retired NHL scout (30+ years)
  • I went to an OHL open tryout (this was way back in the day), and got schooled beyond words. Found out. Exposed. Humiliated. Got cut the following year for Tier 2 Junior B (team I was playing for the previous year), then foolishly tried to tryout for Junior A (Tier 3) and it went even worse, and as they say...that pretty much ended it for me until about 7 years ago when I got back into beer league hockey. Granted by the time I bottomed out I couldn't have hit the next from 10 feet, such was my confidence level.

Keep playing! Focus on having fun and being a good teammate (if your coaches see this, it can't help but be of assistance). My confidence got destroyed in 90 minutes, and it took years to recover. Don't let it happen to you (It's funny- I look back and think "what was I thinking" now, but at the time, I went from being a decent (by no means great) player to being someone who had zero confidence in their game and who effectively ruined themselves through fear of failure.

Best of luck!

• Siggy

Only you can decide if you love the sport enough to keep it up. At some point, hockey (as do all sports) becomes too much for some. Once you lose that passion, the sport becomes secondary.

Ask yourself - is there anything else as important in your life right now?

As I got older, I was easily able to say that other things were more important. Slowly I just stopped playing as much. I played in college and overseas years ago, but now I am a Men's "Beer" league guy---and I am cool with that.

I hope you stick it out. Sounds like you've got talent and it sounds like you are not ready to walk away.

Best of luck!

I comprehend thoroughly what you're asking. it rather is possible to offer up quitting, even even though it rather is lots tougher that quitting going to the well-being middle. you choose a source of motivation and thought. Make some objectives. Than advantages your self. reliable success =)

• Snid

As a hockey player you should know that there is NEVER a time to quit. If you still enjoy it and can justify it monetarily go for it! Good luck!

it shouldn't matter what league you play in or what team you play for. if you give it up, then you are going to regret it down the line. just play because you love to play and nothing else.