How do I get involved in scientific research??????!!!!?

I am a rising sophomore looking to get involved in scientific research and maybe submit a paper and go to ISEF. Please help me!!! Point me in the right direction!! I'm lost!!! How do i get a mentor???!! can i research what i want or what my mentor is researching???? Where do i go from here???!!!!

Best Answer

If you are in college, you need to locate the people in your Department/school who are involved in research. You can start by the web page(s), checking faculty publications. You want somebody who publishes regularly and, especially, with students. Also, check who has external funding for her projects (NIH, NSF, etc.) This is also a good policy if you are in high school and trying to find a good school to attend.

Once you have located your target, you may want to contact and ask those of his/her students currently involved in research projects, particularly if your school has a graduate program. They will give you the best insight and advice. Applying for work-study positions at the Department, or simply volunteering to work at the labs (even if it is cleaning around or serving as an attendant to a graduate student in her thesis research!) is always a good idea too.

As for your research subject, you more likely will need to start helping with their projects. This will help you to learn the trade. Try to read everything related to the subject, and hopefully, with time, you will be able to come up with your own interest within that field and start your own projects.

This is a ridiculous question. All may or may not have some form of bias. Just because a company pollutes and funds climate research doesn't mean that the scientists carrying out the research will doctor their results (although there's a good chance they will to secure future funding). A scientist looking into poaching of his favorite species may be trying to get an honest assessment of the situation, or may be trying to influence laws to further protect the species just because he or she wants more of them around. A pharmaceutical company has a vested interest in the public seeing its drugs as working well, but at the same time that doesn't mean they won't be honest about how well it works (like when it is honestly leaps and bounds better than the competition). Although a biologist may have unbiased research, having it "reviewed" by people who are not experts on the subject will likely cause the reviewers to accept or reject publishing the research based on whatever preconceived ideas they held on it. For the biologist this means that it's either contort your findings to appease the reviewers or you won't get your paper published. If I had to pick one, they probably want D, but it's still just a garbage question in my opinion.

I assume sophomore in a university? Go to your advisor's office, ask what each faculty member is researching, decide which one is the most interesting to you, contact him/her and ask if you can join their lab!

Sometimes they may ask for a personal statement or a CV but for me I just said I was interested, and he said ok, you're in!