Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Mainly for pro-life people?

The argument I hear in support of the pro-life concept is everyone deserves a right to life, I dont want to discuss pro-life but rather do you believe in the right to death, ie. suicide or assisted suicide?

Alright, I guess by right I mean legal right because it's illegal to kill yourself

to the person named Dude, I specifically said this wasn't about abortion and thats all you talk about, screw you

• Favorite Answer

Yes, I am pro-life and I believe in the right to assisted suicide under very limited circumstances. The difference is personal choice (baby has none), and the potential quality of life. An unborn baby's QOL is usually significantly higher than an adult that is inevitably dying in a painful manner. However, no states have limited the conditions enough to prevent the killing (aka assisted suicide) of people who are despondent (and therefore potentially curable) vs. allowing dignified deaths for truly dying people that are in pain. The closest state to a well-defined law is Oregon, which is well-written, but poorly executed. They've failed several times to properly enforce the content of the laws, allowing people to commit suicide because they were financial burdens, not in exhaustive pain or personal distress. A trend I find troubling. Ironically, the identical justification frequently quoted by pro-abortion advocates - odd how killing a pre-birth child is acceptable to the same people who find killing a sick or old person for similar economic reasons repugnant.

By the way, suicide is not illegal in any state. That's a misconception.

i'm pro life, i would never judge someone for having an abortion and i do think abortion should be legal because people will find other and very dangerous methods to abort a pregnancy otherwise. but i think if you use contraception and are careful you shouldn't get pregnant and if you do well perhaps it happens for a reason?

my theory is the same with death, perhaps you're still alive for a reason? if you kill yourself now what if in 2 hours or 2 days a bunch of scientists announce they have found a cure for cancer and you could like another 10 years happy and healthy? it isn't over until the fat lady sings and i believe in fighting to the end and i don't think you should look a gift horse in the mouth, you never know when things will start looking up and i think suicide is being ungrateful.

Source(s): i've had my share or horrible events and horrible illnesses and i've thought about getting out very seriously but then something good happens and changes my mind.

The problem with 'pro-life' is that they're not actually interested in 'pro-life' but in 'pro-birth', since they don't seem to care anything about the child's after birth (anti-public child health care, anti-headstart, . . ). Perhaps they define 'everyone has a right to 'life' ' differently than I do.

As for suicide and assisted suicide, I would support something that would allow those whose life is destined for suffering, like cancer sufferers, to die with some dignity in their control and for those who just can't deal with life, some ability to get help or choose a non-distruptive way to handle their lives, for positive or negative effect. As someone who lives with depression, I often think about it and wish I have an way to take care of my issues, although, I imagine, that if there was an easier way to commit suicide (ie Futurama 'Suicide Booths'), I wouldn't have a chance to try to correct the difficulties life throws at me.

Perhaps if life were more fair this wouldn't be such an important question, but there's the rub.

Jerycho

Source(s): No research. Nothing but my own two cents.

I'm also a nurse. While Lisa J is correct in that pain and suffering CAN be managed by careful and compassionate care and medication? I'll tell you from experience that probably the majority of nurses, unless you are screaming, moaning, clawing your way out of bed, or otherwise annoying them? They won't bother to medicate you adequately unless the medication is actually scheduled and ordered. If it's PRN (as needed - nursing judgement) then a lot of the time it's not given. After all if the patient gets really peaceful and painfree, they might stop breathing and then they'd have to go to all the fuss and bother and paperwork of dealing with a deceased patient.

Many nurses are very nice, and compassionate. I like to think I am, and I freely give meds to suffering patients, but I've seen a lot who just walk out of the room and don't care. I've seen enough so that I don't plan to make MY final exit in a hospital or nursing home.

As for killing off patients who are taking to long to die (by NOT ventilating the brain dead or by NOT giving IV antibiotics to 102 year old bedridden patients who have their 5th pneumonia of the year) I'm not even going there. All I can say is just look up the word "futile" in the dictionary.

I don’t see how taking ones life for a trivial reason can ever be justified… and most reasons are trivial. However if someone in a situation where death is imminent, unavoidable, and assured then I think it’s morally justifiable to take ones own life. One horrific example that comes to mind is the people who were trapped in the world trade center and choose to jump to their death rather than being burned alive.

1) The fetus doesn't have a choice in the matter. They have no control over their destiny. A living person has complete control over the situation.

2) Every fetus deserves the chance to survive. People that want to kill themselves have had a chance to live and have decided that living is not worth it.

Ah perhaps, but medication and hospital care cannot fix everything. What if someone just wants to be at peace from a life that was forced upon them?

I don't agree with assisted suicide for 2 reasons. 1st I'm a nurse & I know from experience pain and suffering can be managed with proper pain medication and hospice care. 2nd if we legalize it and we end up having managed health care (i.e. government controlled) who's to say that they won't decide based on cost of care whether it's cheaper to put you on the suicide list or treatment list. Food for thought...

Questions like these need to be thought out more carefully before asking them.

A "right" is a freedom I get to demand or impose on someone else. A right to die allows me to demand what from what other person? Do I get to demand that my doctor help me die? What if he doesn't want to? What about his freedom to deny my request?

Everyone has a right to be left alone. If you want to go into your house and kill yourself, demanding that we leave you alone so you can do this action, we have no business stopping you.

My point is, When you say "do we have a right to do . . . .?" what demand would that allow us to make on someone else?

I definitely agree with Lisa J. She's spot on! :D