Amount of words in a book? Is there an average? more read inside...?

Amount of words in a book? Is there an average? more read inside...?

I'm working on writing a book (it's kind of a chick flick) like sex and the city...that kind of thing but I'm just wondering if I have too little or too much words in it so far, I have 5 pages wrote on MS word processor and the word count is 2517..Is this ok?

Update:

I just want to see how I'm doing so far, I'm not planning on publishing a 5 page book or anything.

Update 2:

I'm only starting of my book, I'm aiming for 29 chapters so it could be 200-300 pages

Update 3:

It's for any age really but probably aimed towards 18-30 that kind of thing

Update 4:

its size 11 calibri writing on MS word processor btw if that helps, what is the ideal font and size to get a better idea?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The average wording for a novel goes like this:

Children Novel: 20,000 words

Teenage Novel: 55,000 words

Adult Novel: 80,000 - 120,000 words

You have a bit more of a way to go :-)

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

For the font and size, ideally you should be using either Times New Roman, font size 12, or Arial, font size 10. It's easier on the eyes and agents and publishers prefer it this way when submitting a manuscript.

It's hard to tell. We don't know if you've done the correct spacing or done a gap between paragraphs, etc. You shouldn't be asking yourself what have you done so far and if it's good (as in the word count) you should just set yourself an overall target and aim for it. If you want to figure out an average word count that you should be aiming for then do this.

Find five novels from the same genre as yours; each their first. Find the word count for them and add them up before dividing by five. That way, you know how many words you should be aiming for.

• 1 decade ago

I also am currently writing a novel, and have looked into this before (I'm in the editing process now; the writing now complete).

My novel is science fiction, but consists of 28 chapters with a medium of 4000 words per chapter. This is a somewhat lengthy amount in regard to novels, but at least 50,000 words is a fair minimum.

5 pages is within the realm of Novella or Short Story.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

MS Word has a word count facility - just use that.

Adult novels start from around 60,000 words, up to about 120,000.

Not sure what you mean by "I've written a couple of pages, is this okay?" No, of course it's not OK. You need over 60,000 words. You also need a much better defined target audience. No book is for any age.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Five pages!!! When was the last time you saw a book with only five pages? What you have is Chapter One. You are talking 30,000 - 50,000 words in a good-sized book. You could pull out one of your own paperbacks, count the words on a page and then multiply by the number of pages to see how many words are in a normal sized book.

Keep it up and good luck.

• 1 decade ago

Well that depends on if it was a teen novel or and adult, the word count for each type on average would be different

• 1 decade ago

5 pages? no. you need a little more than that.

books can be small, generally called novellas. or long. called novels.

it all depends. but you're generally supposed to have 250 words a page so idk how you have 2517 words on 5 pages...

• 1 decade ago

the average for a novel is like 50,000, so yeah you're good hahahaha

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.