Vintage Crochet Shawl Question?

I'm trying to crochet a vintage shawl. I just finished the 1st row and am pretty sure I messed this up. The directions say:

1st row: *Miss 4 ch., then, into the next stitch, work 4 tr., 1 ch. and 4 tr., miss 4 ch., 1 D.C. in the next, repeat from * to the end of the row, ending with a half block (i.e. 4 tr. in 1 stitch), turn. The tr. stitches should measure a good inch in height and the top of the stitches be finished off firmly.

2nd row: Miss the half block just made, *4 tr. between the 2nd and 3rd stitches of the next half block, 1 ch., then 4 tr. between the 2nd and 3rd stitches of the half block that was missed (working over the 4 tr. just made), 1 D.C. under the ch. in the middle of the next block, miss the next half block, repeat from * to the end of the row, ending with half a block (in the last half block of the previous row), turn.

Now that I'm about to start in on the 2nd row, I think I've messed up. I did the whole first row giving each tr. it's own loop. Now I'm starting to think I was supposed to have done 4 tr. in a single loop (a block?). Was I doing this right, or do I need to undo the last row and try it with 4 tr. in a single loop?

I've crocheted blankets and stuff before, but this is the first thing I'm really trying off of a pattern and the terminology sometimes trips me up. Also one other question, while I'm here... It says to repeat row 2 until it's 54" tall or the desired length, but then below it has different directions for row 4. Does that just mean 'row 4' is the first row after I've reached the desired height or the actual 4th row? Thanks so much for the help!

Favorite Answer

Something is missing here. I assume the instructions begin with a foundation chain with so many chains?

You are correct in assuming that you messed up.

After you have crocheted your foundation chain, you make 4 tr, 1 ch, 4 tr into the 5th chain from the hook. So, there will be a total of 8 tr (4+4 tr) in just one loop of your foundation chain.

After that you skip the next 4 ch on the foundation and make 1 dc. Again, skip 4 ch and do 4tr, 1 ch, 4 tr into the next ch.

Hope that helps.

I'm not sure about your second question. I don't see instructions for row 4, which you say are different. So, can't help you with that.

Are you in the UK? It looks like this is a UK pattern.