Should Israel join NATO?

Why wouldn't Israel join NATO? It would be guaranteed protection from any Middle East invasion from the US and its allies.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I think no, but it is an interesting case.

Pro - NATO protection against aggressive neighbors (Iran).

Con - Israel is already an ally and therefore doesnt need the additional protection, it is redundant. Also it would further politicize a pandora's box and drag Europe into a region they dont want to be involved in. Also, most European nations have a large Islamic population and therefore their foreign policy is more neutral or pro-Palestine. Therefore Israel would never be voted in.

Realistically, Egypt, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia wont invade Israel again. And Israel can handle Lebenon, Jordan, and Syria on their own. Iran cannot invade, without sailing their navy around Arabia and into the Mediterranean (unlikely) and none of the above countries would let them move their army through. All Israel has to worry about realistically is Iran launching missiles and nukes - which wont happen because Iran knows the consequences of that - international isolation and 5-50 countries declaring war on them.

Also, NATO wont protect againt Palestine, because they are not recognized as a county by NATO members, therefore Article 5 (all declare war on an attacker) would not apply.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

No, Why would Israel, a country no where near the North Atlantic, what to be include in NATO, An alliance of many of the European nations what once where united in the destruction of the Jewish People?

I for one believe that terms matter, so nations not on the North Atlantic should not be members of NATO. Alas that boat has already sailed. I would admit Turkey to Nato (something that has been long promised by the UK, FR, DE but not their yet.) Israel has enough problems with its neighbors so it should not be bothered by its "Frenemies".

• 4 years ago

The question is "COULD Israel join NATO?" The answer is "Not until Israel ends its illegal occupation of Palestinian and Syrian territories, starts abiding by international law, punishes human rights abusers, etc" Until then Israeli membership would be unacceptable to most NATO member states. It would also be interesting to see how Israel's large Russian population feel about the idea.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no Israel is in the middle east nato is in Europe

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • DAR
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I am having real trouble with the new geography. First Georgia, now Israel.

However, we shouldn't be in it either. Let's leave it to the EU.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.